Notices

A bit blown away...

Old 05-18-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bit blown away...

Yesterday I went to a speakers meeting at my home group. It was a man that I did not recognise immediately, but he was introduced by first name and county and it was the county I grew up in.

As soon as he started talking I recognised his voice and realised it was my (now deceased) step-dad's sponsor. This man helped my step-dad a huge amount, but also helped me personally so, so much when I was in my early 20's (just after my step-dad passed away). I'd split up from my partner - who I'd lived with - and was sleeping on the sofa at my mums. I had nowhere to keep my 2 kittens (her big old tom cat was not tolerating them at all) and no money for boarding them. He took them into his cattery for months, until I'd managed to get the deposit together to get my own place. He also really helped me emotionally through that time - cups of tea and chats and trying to help me see things a little more sanely. He didn't know me personally before this, and had no reason to help. What a lovely, lovely man.

I had lost touch with him over the years, so it was amazing to hear him share and chat to him in my home town over twenty years later. I went home very happy, and fully intend to keep in touch from now on.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beccybean
what a gift. God is unbelievable.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

great post beccybean,thanks for sharing that
Old 05-25-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The same man turned up to yesterdays meeting, and gave me some very sage and timely advice which is very pertinent to an issue that has arisen at work. When I see him, it makes me feel close to my deceased AAer stepdad (who he sponsored), so I wasn't surprised today to get a very clear picture in my mind of my stepdad strolling down the road to meet me, with a big grin on his face, brown as a berry, with his battered old hat on his head, his ginger Tom at his heels, and his pet cockerel following along the fence, as I approached my mum's cottage (which was originally his home for many many years). The first thing my mum did when I got there was take me to her bedroom so she could give me the engagement ring that he'd given to her because she'd been thinking he'd want me to have it. I feel very touched to be wearing it - almost like he's with me and supporting me. Probably silly, but there you go.

We then went to off spend the day with my brother and his family, who I finally made efforts to rebuild bridges with at the end of 2014, and had a good day there (the first time I've been to his home in about 20 years, even though they're only about an hour away).

Sitting here now eating a chocolate gift that my brothers children bought me from the seaside yesterday, having a coffee and looking at my stepdad's ring on my finger, feeling very blessed, and full of gratitude.

x
Old 05-25-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic