Notices

Free Beer?

Old 05-16-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Free Beer?

If I get my head on the pillow tonight without spilling any alcohol in the mouth part, it will mark my first full week of sobriety. I was too busy with work to write much or visit SR, but I wrote this Thursday morning before work.

///////////////////////////////////////////////--------------------------------------

Today is the first day I have to work in 3D---face to face with "normies." One consolation is that I'll be at a huge government office with lot's of Lawyers, so there are sure to be several of "us" on hand.

God willing, this will be my sixth day of sobriety. The fifth went better than expected. I made it to Austin, checked in, unpacked, and hied my ass unto a meeting at the Northlane... Northwood... Northdrive... Northsomething clubhouse.

Back on Day one, my wife put my ER telemetry bracelet in new copy of Alcoholics Anonymous and glibly announced that I was now in possession of the world's most expensive bookmark. Her sarcastic wit is one of the many reasons I married StCatherinesWheel (Yeah, I'm gonna' do that.)

She intentionally put the bookmark at "Bill's Story." I started to study it, underlining stuff and looking up words and fun Bill W. phrases like, "...the goose hung high." I was thinking about Mr. W.'s hotel dilemma when I got in last night. Bill's hotel had a list of local Churches, but mine had a big blackboard with chalk-art that said, "Managers Special! Free Beer and (something else I must have just ignored.)" But, by The Grace, I maneuvered my way past it to the front desk.

The young man who greeted me turned out to be the same one who had made a near-fatal blunder with room assignments on my previous visit that almost resulted in me shooting a State trooper, which is another long story I'm not quite ready to tell. Ryan was profusely apologetic and seemed quite sincere. I'm so used to being on the other side of this sort of interaction, I decided to act like I have always wanted the other man to act. I apologized to him for the several names I called him. Told him I understood how horrible it must have been for him and that I was sure the experience was of such magnitude as to insure that his mistake would never be made by him or anyone else in this hotel. Ryan seemed to soak that up like mother's milk. He started scribbling on some hotel coupon forms and came out with two. They entitled the bearer to, "Enjoy 1 Free Complementary Glass Of Draft Beer or House Wine during your' stay."

I felt like the robot in Terminator. I had to reject the first five things that popped up on the "things to say" screen in my mind. Most of them were going to be about how I had quit drinking, and one of them had a bit about how possessive pronouns don't need apostrophes to show possession. I even passed up the Terminators selection and just went with "Thank you very much Ryan! You're a good man." When I got settled, I tore up the coupons, but I took a picture of them first because I believe it is photographic evidence of a dark spiritual force at work to destroy my sobriety. It may seem arrogant to suggest that the Lord of Darkness would take a personal interest in my case, but I mean; come on; there's no such thing as "free beer."

I took out for the Northland group 8p meeting which turns out to be a ten minute trip including elevator time. Stacey, the speaker, gave an account of her personal story that I could not hear because my mind was wrapped around itself so tight you could't pull a pencil out of it's ass with a tractor.

(I almost deleted that last sentence, but decided to let it stand because it actually made me laugh a little)

When I got back to the room, I stayed up late reading and rereading Bill's Story looking for the part where he winds up between the bar and the phone booth at a Hotel. I eventually gave up; it's been removed, was never there, or I'm just not sober enough to see it yet.

StAnthonysFire
Day 5
Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 6; love your wit and insight.

Keep moving forward; so many rewards await you.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely good job on 6. Thanks for the story.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1 Week is fantastic StAnthonysFire!!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a great day for you and an awesome read for me. Congrats and thank you!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate, having also gotten 'free drink' coupons from a motel once. I felt like I was somehow missing out by not using them since after all, it was 'free'. But it was one of those places that gives complimentary drinks to everybody and I'm sure their selection would have been cheap and crappy. I thought, 'If I'm going to throw away my sobriety, it sure as heck isn't going to be for some crappy, free drink when I could easily afford to buy a bottle of something decent.' Maybe not the best thought to fight the AV, but I wasn't in a very good place that day and it DID keep me away from the 'free' drinks.