Notices

Is C-PTSD a real illness?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is C-PTSD a real illness?

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed by my new therapist with C-PTSD, after having multiple other doctors diagnose me with regular PTSD and BPD. As far as I can tell, C-PTSD is just a theory. My therapist admitted she wasn't qualified to help me during our first session, but she was the only option because I can't afford a private practice doctor.

Opinions? I fit the description for C-PTSD quite well, although that may just be due to my personality traits. Does anyone feel this diagnosis has merit?

Thanks,
Selene
Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never heard of it and I've been diagnosed as ptsd for 5 years now ( not that that means anything!) I am definitely going to look it up now.
That's too bad about her not being qualified for you.....quite a conundrum. Are you sure There aren't any low income or no cost options? I m sorry if that's a Condescending question I'm sure you've looked at multiple options? Which is probably how you ended up with her
Old 05-12-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not condescending. I am a recent university graduate, so I have been living that life for the past 5 years. I went with her because my other option was a 1-year program in a different city and I could not commit to it while in school.
I know so many people who fell between the cracks because they weren't paired with the right therapist. I've also seen two social workers and they both said the same thing. If I want to improve, I either do the program, or see a private psychiatrist, which is $90+ per month (ie: >13% of my total monthly budget).

Anyway, I told her she wasn't helping and I wasn't coming back. I just want to know why I wasted the past 8 months with this woman.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not sure of the classification, but yes, it is a recognized form of PTSD. The way it was best described to me is if a major trauma is a capital T, longterm exposures to lesser traumas, (little t's) can be just as damaging. It is often found in children who have grown up being emotionally, verbally or physically abused, and often found in ACOA's. There is a website called "Out of the Fog" which also has a forum. There is quite a bit of information on the internet, I know there is one psych who wrote a book specifically about this type of trauma.

I know I have a form of it. Honestly, it was a relief to find out why I always was on alert. (A lot of us have hyper reflexes…as my poor doctors have found out. ). I am also extremely sensitive to noise, have struggled with insomnia for decades, have an autoimmune condition.

I think you are wise to invest some time in trying to find a therapist to work with. A good therapist can be life changing, and a bad therapist can complicate your issues, and yes, there are bad therapists. A good therapist may not feel competent to handle your specific issue but will usually help you find someone or give you some direction.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I have heard mention of it on another recovery board I am on for cult survivors. I just find it helpful to be around people who experienced the same things I have. Whatever happened to you there is probably a support forum for it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post
Hello,

I was recently diagnosed by my new therapist with C-PTSD, after having multiple other doctors diagnose me with regular PTSD and BPD. As far as I can tell, C-PTSD is just a theory. My therapist admitted she wasn't qualified to help me during our first session, but she was the only option because I can't afford a private practice doctor.

Opinions? I fit the description for C-PTSD quite well, although that may just be due to my personality traits. Does anyone feel this diagnosis has merit?

Thanks,
Selene
My son was diagnosed with complex PTSD by VA Dr's. He was a combat veteran with multiple deployments, so he experienced a protracted level of repeated trauma situations. Are you also a combat veteran and/or experienced the same type of thing?
Old 05-14-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, I haven't had any kind of significant trauma apart from this one incident which preceded the PTSD symptoms.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi! I just saw a psychologst today- and asked him if this was a real disorder and he said it was not in the diagnostic manual.
He said he'd never heard of it.
But, that does not mean it isn't a disorder.
I have a learning disorder that is not in the diagnostic manual but believe me, it exists.