Notices

Question about local AA meetings

Old 08-23-2004, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
just j

Question about local AA meetings

Hi,

I have been reading posts and threads and trying to get the hang of the site. I have a question about the meetings. I saw that it is suggested that you go to 90 meetings in 90 days. How does this work? The meetings that I have seen only meet once a week. So, how do you go to them every day?

Sorry but I am truly new to all of this. I have wondered if I had a problem for years. But because nothing ever "bad" came from my drinking it was easy to stay in denial. I am determined to stop drinking. I am of course afraid of failure since for the past 6 months or so I have tried to cut back and quit during the week, etc and I do great for awhile then it creeps back in and begins a nightly thing once again. I just turned 40 and am thinking now more than ever that I really need to stop before something bad does happen. I have read about AA meetings here at this site and think they may be the way to begin as well as posting here and coming to online meetings.

Thanks for any help you can offer! Jalyn
Old 08-23-2004, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Here's the operative phrase...
I am determined to stop drinking
Thats the way to start.

I just quit last year, and I was 40. There are good online AA meetings here... as you said, good place to start.

Re 90 in 90.... you have to get a "where and when" (where meetings are located and when) or, if your meeting doesn't have that, ask the ppl there. Then you might have to travel a little, depending upon the locations of the meetings on various days. I had to do that too.

Personally, I thought my 90 in 90 was great...... I got alot out of it. But... it is just a recommendation. Not stipulated anywhere in the literature.

BTW Welcome Jalyn!

I look forward to reading your posts
Old 08-23-2004, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
just j

Thanks! I will do some research calling around tomorrow. We have a full sized stocked bar in the basement(fully stocked). I will be someone who may have to get out of the house at night for awhile to overcome this.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

You can also get rid of the stuff, give it to a neighbor or friend who can control their drinking. 90/90 is highly suggested, but it's just that, suggested. If you can do it and manage it great! If not, get to as many as you can. I bugged over not being able to do it early on and felt a failure from the get go. But I have a great sponsor who told me to begin managing what I could and do the best I could.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
just j

My husband would never shut the bar down. It is part of his Irish "ness" and he loves being the bartender. Not that all Irishmen drink, just that we have a lot of Irish bar signs and stuff. He also does not have a problem with drinking. I don't feel I should go there I guess. He will support me though because he knows my drinking has really gone from marginal to over the edge at times in the past 6 months or so. I will have to do this thing with the bad stuff in the basement. Maybe we could put a lock on the door. That sounds pathetic, I know, but the fact that is easily accessable does not make it any easier when the urge comes.

I am alone a lot and have to get used to being accountable for the choices I make.

thanx, j
Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are a ton of AA meetings in the Chicago area. Try this site: http://www.chicagoaa.org/meetings/meetings2.php
Old 08-24-2004, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Jalyn
.... and have to get used to being accountable for the choices I make.

thanx, j
Your wisdom in your posts. The understanding you seem to have...
What you already understand and with what you can learn from AA... I am sure you will do just great.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
just j

thanks out there and thanx for the encouragement, Best.

The funny thing is is that I am very smart. I have a master's degree from a prestigious college. Addiction does not care who or what I am. I resent sometimes that I could not be the person that can drink normally, but thinking back on it, I don't know if i ever really was a normal drinker. I have "quit" many times in my life, through pregnancies, lent, illness, but never before have I ever admitted that alcohol is a problem for me.

I went through therapy as a young adult for an eating disorder during my undergrad. I always had to control everything and this was my way of controlling I guess.

now the addiction is controlling me. I am on day 2 and this time feels differently. I feel like I am being honest with myself. I am scared, because I hate to fail at anything, however, you can't fail if you keep honest and keep trying I guess.

Thanks to all of you who take the time to read and respond. It is a huge help to me.

J