Notices

New to the forum

Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forum

Hello,

I've just joined the forum. I've decided to stop drinking after 30 years. I'm not really sure what to expect, or what to do with myself today. Perhaps, when my head is clear I will clear all the empty bottles that are tucked away in cupboards in the kitchen and take them to the recyling centre!
Look forward to getting to know folks on here, and pick up some good advice and support. Think I'm going to need it!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Gravehill

D
Old 04-25-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Morning gravehill ,

welcome to SR ,

sitting down and having a good read about it all was what i did when i started with SR ,
certainly getting any drink out of the house helped me at the beginning ,

as did not going for aimless walks with cash or cards in my pocket ,

Having long showers and changing into a bathrobe as soon as i came home ,

Substituting ice cream as a surrogate reward for getting through a difficult day .

Wrapping my pillow with a towel as i sweated buckets in the early days .

Keep coming back

m
Old 04-25-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gravehill - welcome to SR. There's lots of wisdom on here. And lots of friendly and helpful people.

Having a bottle clear out sounds like a good start. No time like the present and they're likely to act as a trigger if you keep looking at them. Other things likely to weaken your resolve are..

Hunger (get some of your favourite meals and snacks in)
Anger (try to avoid people and situations you know could antagonise / irritate you)
Loneliness (best not to isolate - but other sober people or people in recovery would be best for now. Someone on here said 'drinkers are like crabs in a bucket, if one tries to climb out the others try to drag it back'. That is SO true).
Tiredness (lots of rest)

I notice you're in Devon - what a lovely part of the country. I'm off there for a week in August with my partner for his 50th birthday (Lynton / Lynmouth) - can't wait!!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on this decision!

I found it therapeutic getting rid of the bottles of alcohol. I gave away the full bottles and that sound of the old bottles clinging into the recycling bin was a good feeling!

Beccy already said about HALT. It's a great thing to remember and if I address all parts of it, then I know I won't relapse :-) Have a read around and welcome again!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your kind words. At the moment I feel so weak and tired. Not unusual in the mornings for me. I got into the habit of drinking earlier, just to feel normal. I don't feel like doing anything that requires too much physical effort, although all the empties have now gone. Shopping done and stocked up on fruit juices and sparkling mineral water and ice cream. Gosh, there's so much information on here, so I think I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day.

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravehill View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words. At the moment I feel so weak and tired. Not unusual in the mornings for me. I got into the habit of drinking earlier, just to feel normal. I don't feel like doing anything that requires too much physical effort, although all the empties have now gone. Shopping done and stocked up on fruit juices and sparkling mineral water and ice cream. Gosh, there's so much information on here, so I think I know what I will be doing for the rest of the day. Thanks again!
I was a morning and afternoon (well, and evening to be fair) drinker so I can relate. I have got into a routine of eating as soon as I get up and having a coffee. That morning hunger can really mess me up otherwise.

Post as much as you want/need and enjoy the community :-)
Old 04-25-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't worry gravehill, if you just quit drinking, get yourself all the sleep you need. Your body is currently in repair mode, and using all the energy it can to clean itself. Drink lots of water, sleep as much as you want, and if possible, eat good & healthy meals.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Gravehill
Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome gravehill
Old 04-25-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are off to a good start.

Don't be alarmed if it is rough going in the beginning. Hang in there, because it gets so much better. You have to trust that when and if you start feeling anxious. Remember, this too shall pass.

Congrats on your decision. We are here for you.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome gravehill. There is a lot of support here. Quitting is a good decision and we are all here for you!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gravehill!!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone,

Mentally I feel strong, and normally by this time on a Saturday afternoon I would have already have been on my 4th or 5th pint of strong cider.
The last hour has been quite unpleasant, pounding heart rate and a few hot sweats. I was planning a short walk, but will take it easy today I think! Enjoying reading everyone's personal experiences, and still finding my way around.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome, gravehill, and congratulations on your decision.

yes, getting connected with others and reading lots about how others are doing this has been a great help to me and maybe you'll find that true for you as well.

keep going.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't hesitate to see your Doc if you feel really unwell gravehill

D
Old 04-25-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you gravehill.

I drank 30 yrs. too. I never imagined I'd get by without it, even though it was killing me. I don't know why it was so hard for me to admit that it was never fun or relaxing any more. In the end, each time I drank I led myself down a dangerous road. It's great to be free.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Gravehill happy to see you on here. SR is brilliant im only 23 and already done my first week sober you will find alot of help and encouragement here Hun

MJ x