Notices

Only lasted 3 days

Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Only lasted 3 days

Only lasted 3 days. Drank a fifth of vodka last night. I feel really bad today. More importantly, I failed once again! I am getting way too frustrated with myself. I cannot abstain. And when I bank a couple days of sobriety, I feel strong enough to drink. This is getting silly...I think I want to give up fighting this
Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think to give up fighting would be the wrong thing to do.

How about fighting more?

Get more support - whether it's AA SMART LifeRing, SR or some other forum - and use that support when you feel weak?

D
Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I failed over and over until I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. It is possible. Don't give up.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
This is getting silly...I think I want to give up fighting this
So quit fighting...and accept that you are an alcoholic. Accept that drinkng is NOT an option you can choose no matter what. And as Dee says, make a formal plan to honor that committment.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
learning to live

You know what the definition of insanity is, right?

Do something different next time the craving hits. Pray, go outside, read this thread...anything. If you want change bad enough you will put your whole heart into it and do whatever it takes.

It isn't going to be easy. Don't give up ever. Just throw all you got into recovery and finding something that works. You don't have to feel this way ever again. You deserve better and you deserve happiness. You will never find that happiness nor a different way in the bottom of a glass.

Hang in there. Hugs!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Who are you getting help from to stay sober?

Yourself?

If so, that's the problem.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do not give up. I thought the same ways. Id sober up after 10-12 days of a binge for a day and then the next day, I'd be at the "store" buying two fifths of Vodka. I finally realized a year had gone by and I had missed birthdays, holidays and important stuff in my life. I kept thinking "they will think I am working too much and I am exhausted!". I woke up last weekend and realized, NO MORE! I have been sober for almost 5 days (with the help of my spouse and my therapist) and this has been the longest ever. It will be a tough road but support has kept me afloat (and this site). Keep your head up. You can do this!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I failed over and over until I finally wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. It is possible. Don't give up.
Same. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Drinking wasn't even a choice anymore. You can do this.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Scared, when I needed motivation I read up on how alcohol affects your mind and body, and the increased incidence of heart disease, cancer, etc. until I had convinced myself it would happen to me as well. I went to see my doctor and asked what long-term alcoholics were like and what health problems they presented with.

All this didn't work right away, as the drink can have a strong hold on you, but I was thinking about it in the background and finally found the motivation to stop drinking. Once I gained that, the rest was easy.

The other tip is to change your routine at night so you're not just sitting there thinking about not drinking. I suggest cooking some complicated thing you can take to work the next day and impress everyone, or serve up to the family.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on day five, again. Don't give up. Today I was close to stopping and picking up a bottle. The wife is away and no one would know. Except me... And I am the most important person going through this. I am doing it to improve my life and as a result of my life improving it will improve the life of all those close to me. In fact it may be the only way to keep them close. It is not about next week, next month or next year, it is about here and now. Find support, it is out there. Stay strong. We are all pulling for you.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dive into the inner webbings of your emotions and dig a bit, try and think about what really is nagging you and making you feel like it's necessary to drink...it's not easy! Just dare to try a tiny bit...good luck <3 hang in there
Old 04-24-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

3 days is great! It means you CAN go several days without a xrink. Dont give up hope. Look for support ( kudos for posting here by the way) and stay busy. Whatever that looks like to yiu.
several people have been In your situation before. you are not alone or a failure.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Breaking that mindset with support was the key for me, my own mind could convince me to do anything and sell me all the reasons the drink of the day in isolation.

I needed something to give me a second opinion on things on a daily basis, keep me focused on the task at hand, short circuit my own thought processes and finally get off that sober/drink merry-go-round!!

You can do this!!