Notices

I Want a Refund!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Today I went to the grocery store and stocked up on pasta dinners I 'discovered' a few weeks ago. Now, I usually have wine with these "TV Dinners" but nope, not tonight! Anyway, I sit down to eat my highly-caloric-pasta-dish-that's-(supposedly)-worth-every-calorie-because-it-tastes-like-Heaven and as soon as I put it in my mouth I thought, "Ugh!! This taste like s***!!"

Last week, I thought this was my easy, go-to meal and today I've realized I only thought it was good because my wine was murdering my taste buds. Sigh. Just another example how alcohol lies to us...

I wonder if you're allowed to return frozen dinners!?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doubtful, lol.

D
Old 04-08-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Lol.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yum. Pasta
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Donate them to your local food bank if they are still frozen. It will make some people happy
Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Donate them to your local food bank if they are still frozen. It will make some people happy
Great idea! I'll even add extra food (canned, dried foods, etc.) to my donation...
Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So true! Everything tastes different!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good news you can learn how to make that dish with fresh ingredients

Not sure about returning the frozen dinners
Old 04-09-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Splurge on something that you would otherwise have thought too expensive to buy. You will still be money ahead if you aren't buying bottles of wine.

And, when you are ready, think about cooking some stuff yourself. I was amazed at how much better my cooking skills got when I wasn't drunk.

Good luck. You are doing great, and we are proud of you.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Yep, I know what you mean. Food binge follows wine binge. Now you're going to have to upgrade your food tastes.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One thing that has been great for me about sobriety is that I've returned to my love of cooking. I cooked before, but usually with a glass of wine in hand. Now, I feel like I can concentrate more on what I'm doing, and I'm enjoying trying new things.

Also, if you don't want to cook every night, try making your own freezer dinners or use your crockpot or pressure cooker. Works great! A friend and I are actually getting together once a month to batch cook healthy meals for our family. Fun to work together and great to have healthy meals pre-prepared on days when I'm exhausted or I know will be busy at work.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

I rarely cook full meals and it's usually because they take too long. (Probably because I was in a hurry to start drinking wine!) But, now that I'll have more time on my hands I should probably start (regularly) cooking dinner... Cooking my own meals is also healthier, which is ideal seeing as I'm working on my fitness.

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
...Also, if you don't want to cook every night, try making your own freezer dinners or use your crockpot or pressure cooker. Works great!
That's a great idea!! Or, I should start cooking bigger meals that'll last longer... I don't mind leftovers, it's just the initial process of having to cook I'm not really a fan of.

And, cooking with wine-in-hand was how I cooked also, and the only time I enjoyed cooking. I guess it's time for me to create more healthy habits! I thought sobriety would just be about "not drinking wine"... And, I can't really remember any lifestyle changes I made the last time I was sober (besides not drinking), most likely because I only stopped drinking because the person I was dating didn't drink. Hence, my relapse, because I didn't stop drinking for me; nor did I think I really had to. This go-round is different...
Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to drink orange juice to hydrate, when I stopped drinking I realized that orange juice was delicious. I can relate.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Too funny! Put some Dave's hot-sauce on it. I find it makes everything taste...well...like fire!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On the flip side, I think good food tastes SO much better than I ever remember it tasting when I was a drinker. In fact, I would often pass delicious food up to save my calories for my bottles and bottles of wine. Alcohol totally just dulls us.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

runner,

more salt.