Notices

Hello....again

Old 04-06-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello....again

I'm one of the "hit and run" newcomers you veterans see often. Giving sobriety another shot....about, let's see, 54 hours in now.

Question....I know this is a life long, daily battle but is there a typical milestone timeframe where the battle is easier? I quit nicotine about 5 years ago which was difficult. I used a daily forum called kill the can and did help to go through the quit with others. The magic number on that site was 100 days off nicotine in regards to the mental and physical battles. I guess after that time, time was my best friend in the nicotine battle and it rarely even crosses my mind now.

I've yet to reach any significant number of days quit in regards to alcohol. The most being Maybe two weeks once or twice in the past 20 years??? But nothing that discouraged me from starting again.

It appears I've proven to myself that moderation is unlikely for me but am curious if any of you found there to be a time frame of abstinence that acted like a shield for you.

Maybe a nicotine quit is not even comparable to quitting alcohol but I'd like to find out the hard way.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, day one for me today. Am so tired of constantly drinking every night, making promises to myself to stop/cut down and constantly failing. Feeling like I'm in a fog all day every day, am worried I've done permanent damage to my health. Really want rid of this sh#t...

Am thinking of an aa meeting tonight. I went 2 years ago and managed a month, it felt good. From what I remember 7-10 days in it feels a bit easier but apart from pregnancy I've been drinking heavily for 25 years now.

Sick and tired.

Good luck, check in again later.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.

Each case is unique. When I was smoking 3 packs a day I quit and never looked back, no withdrawal no wanting another one since ’85. With alcohol after 2 years of “trying” I finally surrendered and had a week or so of being uncomfortable. That was early ’79 and haven’t had a desire to have a drink since.

I guess I was ready and wanted sobriety more than I wanted to drink so worked for sobriety big time.

BE WELL
Old 04-06-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think there is a magic number or time. I think it's a process that varies depending on a huge variety of factors.

I do think that the more fully we commit to sobriety and the more we arm the process with ACTION that supports sobriety, the sooner and more fully that point comes.

I am over a year clean and sober now and feel generally quite settled and good in sobriety. Most days my mood is sound and even when I'm down or anxious or upset I no longer think about drinking as a response.

I feel positive about sobriety and truly don't want to compromise the life I have by drinking again.

For most of the first uear I struggled with a lot of emotions and a roller coaster ride of challenges and moods. I'm still not through my first full working of the steps. Maybe going faster and more focused would have helped... Maybe I'm delaying my growth.. But I'm keeping at it and keeping my head in recovery every Saturday

anyway, keep up the focus, it does get better!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FZ1

Milhous / Ludo
I am in the exact same boat. Tired of drinking every night. I am shooting for day 1 (again) today. Let's do this!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Milhous,

When I quit smoking it took at least hundreds of times and I figured I’d never be successful, but about 17 years ago I finally quit, looking back I am not sure what the catalyst was.

Alcohol certainly is different for me, it seems after I get a little ‘time’ under my belt I feel like having a drink, and I’ve had some good sobriety attempts, 2.5 years was the longest, and even then I somehow drank despite my past drinking issues.

I am not sure if there is a set time, day 1 seems to be the magic number, it’s the day you make the decision and I know lots including myself repeat day 1 over and over but there has to be a day one, and we really want this to be it.

I’ve heard and experienced that a year is a good measure, but that seems so long for anyone starting out, just don’t drink today.

For me, this is day one, and I want to quit.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello all fellow newbies...

I'd been thinking about stopping for the last 2 weeks as I start a new job next week and wanted to do so with a clear head but this morning I woke up with a jolt as I realised I'd cooked a snack last night after drinking almost 2 bottles of wine. I leapt out of bed and ran downstairs before anyone else woke up to check I'd turned the oven off and cleared it up, I had, but this scared me. I still had wine for one more night before I was all out but I just thought "I wish it was all gone now" so I've poured it away. But I have also done this many times before...

Who is considering AA? Or any other support? I'm still wavering but I know the chances of success are going to be far higher if I do..
Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Milhous

I think it varies for people. For me I can say the first 90 days were the hardest.
Not that it got easy then, but easier for sure.

But yeah - it takes more than days, or weeks even....but when you consider we drank for years? It's not really a bad deal

D
Old 04-06-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to you too Ludo

give it all you have...and then some.
You'll get out of your recovery what you put into it. y'know?

D
Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just want to say welcome back guys

Have you guys got a sober plan
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Milhous!!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement and information. Think I may have another day under my belt and am arriving at 72 hours. One day at a time.