Notices

time to beat it

Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

time to beat it

Alcohol has become my crutch and my way to wind down. I'm 31 years old, I drink 3-4 beers a night after my families in bed to "wind down " I've been drinking for ten years and drinking this frequently for 5. I've never lost jobs been in trouble with the law, but i hide it from my family and know that the repercussions to my health are inevitable. I have two young sons that i want to be a positive example for without having this part of me that I'm hiding from everyone, and i want to be around and healthy for them.

My job requires me to fight wildfires in the summer which forces me to go two weeks at a time without booze, and last year i spent the first couple days of each fire dispatch alternately wishing for a drink and fearing that I'd have withdrawal symptoms.

I want to stop being a slave to this. I want to stop feeling like ****. I want to stop fearing for my health. And i NEED to stop lying to my family before it costs me my family.

That's my situation and why I'm here.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seattleite, we could be the same person. except you're male and I'm female... and I dont fight fires! Otherwise I could have written your post.(well I almost did in another thread!) Im feeling pretty down tonight. Had an AMAZING easter and then drank tonight. Didn't ruin anything for anyone but myself. Hoping to start fresh tomorrow, but feeling kinda low at the moment. Good luck to you!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like you've made a good decision to stop things before they become worse. And they will become worse, should you continue down the drinking path to a progressively worsening addiction.
Drinking really creates health worries. That constant worry itself is bad for us. Best wishes in putting your health as your family first and putting down the bottle for good. Your life will be much richer and fuller.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR seattlelite

D
Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Sounds like a great idea- fast forward to 45 and it's uglier and harder
Old 04-06-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds exactly like me! And not having access to beer makes me anxious. Good luck. I look forward to hearing how you go
Old 04-06-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Seattleite
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

3-4 a night will likely become 10-12 a night before too long if you don't quit now.

Good choice. Just don't pick up that first one, that's all you have to do. You're going to feel so much better in a couple weeks.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Seattleite!!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone. This is day three for me, and this is the time off night when I'd usually start drinking. I'm feeling good about sobriety to this point. No headaches or any other physical issues. I did notice today that i was more short tempered with my 5 year old then i usually am, but i think as long as I'm aware of it going forward this week i can knock it off.

Again thanks for the welcome, and i look forward to having an outlet to discuss the ups and downs of this. I know that as many memories of how alcohol makes me feel fade I'm going to start to think that one wouldn't be so bad, so i think having you all to chat at and listen to is going to be instrumental if i want to be successful at quitting for good
Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Seattleite and welcome to SR. Our house always has a plentiful stash of cold cans of fizzy waters. This helped a lot in the early days. Another bit of advice is to make certain you get time each day for just yourself, whether it be activity, meditation, silence. Read and post as often as you can.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi seattleite. ..welcome. congratulations on day three. Stick with us and the days will add up. Keep it going.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Seattleite!

It is very easy to forget how addiction was affecting us. Coming here to SoberRecovery can be a good reminder of how important it is to stay sober. The "24-Hour Recovery Connections" thread is a place to check in daily.

If you want to see what the future will be like for your family if you keep drinking, read around the "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" section a bit...