Notices

40 days

Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

40 days

It's been 40 days since I started this journey. 40 days since I've stopped drinking. I had one little slip but didn't let that affect my sobriety. I only had a couple then stopped. It was more like a reminder as to why I don't drink. I didn't get drunk nor did I continue to drink on this day in question. Some of you might think that I should start over on counting my days but like I said, it was more of a reminder. Can't believe I was able to quit. Just don't want to drink anymore. I was drinking daily, everywhere I went. For years. Tried to quit for years. I thought it was going to be hard. But the reality is, it wasn't.

For the newcomers that might read into my slip as possibly being able to moderate, please don't take it this way. I had a couple and realized, this is stupid. I don't need beer to enjoy company and a bonfire. I didn't drink anymore after my little slip, it was pointless. But if I hadn't felt that way, I guarantee you I would've gotten smashed and had a horrible hangover.

So glad to be where I'm at right now. It's a beautiful day.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

40 Days is fantastic Jillian!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Keep on, Keeping on!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I had one little slip but didn't let that affect my sobriety.
You need to be honest with yourself, so you can learn from this experience versus dismiss it. I've been where you're at and yes it sucks to slip. Even if you don't want to admit it, picking up those drinks impacted your sobriety. You have made a lot of progress, but to make further progress, you need to think about what led you to picking up those drinks. I look forward to hearing about you getting even more days. Keep up the great work!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Jillian2563, 40 days is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
You need to be honest with yourself, so you can learn from this experience versus dismiss it. I've been where you're at and yes it sucks to slip. Even if you don't want to admit it, picking up those drinks impacted your sobriety. You have made a lot of progress, but to make further progress, you need to think about what led you to picking up those drinks. I look forward to hearing about you getting even more days. Keep up the great work!
What led to picking up was that I thought it would be more "fun" to experience the bonfire with a drink and enjoy the flavor of a craft beer. But all it did was remind me as to why I don't drink anymore. That I just don't enjoy it anymore. Anyway, the bonfire was much more fun when I didn't partake.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Jillian
Old 04-03-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, Nice Job!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

40 days is wonderful. I'm so glad we realize it does nothing to enhance our lives.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you and congratulations.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 40 days!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's great news
Old 04-03-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jillian,

i find it confusing when a person says drinking didn't affect their sobriety. drinking is a breaking of ongoing sobriety.
the idea of a couple of drinks being a reminder why a person doesn't drink is easily an invitation to more of the same and illogical.
if that were so, what would stop us/you/me from having a few drinks here and there to remind ourselves not to drink? it would be a good thing to do, for the reminder value.

my experience is that only squarely looking at and accepting the facts and not allowing myself to rationalize any return to a drink or ten led me to ongoing sobriety.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Jillian, i find it confusing when a person says drinking didn't affect their sobriety. drinking is a breaking of ongoing sobriety. the idea of a couple of drinks being a reminder why a person doesn't drink is easily an invitation to more of the same and illogical. if that were so, what would stop us/you/me from having a few drinks here and there to remind ourselves not to drink? it would be a good thing to do, for the reminder value. my experience is that only squarely looking at and accepting the facts and not allowing myself to rationalize any return to a drink or ten led me to ongoing sobriety.
It's something I'm not going to dwell on, hence why it's not affecting my sobriety. Well, I guess it did affect my sobriety, as it actually helped me to continue. It might not make sense, but it makes sense to me 😊