Notices

So people didn't expect me to live

Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So people didn't expect me to live

I just had my third year celebration. I asked an old drinking buddy of mine to share his story at the meeting. He got sober before I did. He mentioned that I was one of those guys who no one expected to live very long. I never thought of myself as one of those people. Looking back on it I can understand why people would think that. I was an animal. I shot heroin with syringes that knew where infected with hep c. I had no limit when it came to drinking and drugging. I stopped only when the booze and dope ran out or a force beyond my control stopped me. I had an insatiable appetite for self destruction. I think its fascinating to learn how others viewed me. I am not trying to brag but People who have been in the rooms for decades have told me that I am a miracle and I have a really inspiring life story. I don't think so but that's just my perspective. I grew up in an environment full of booze, drugs, and debauchery. I always thought I was tame compared to a lot of addicts. The moral of the story is that if I can do it anyone can. I went to rehab with the attitude that I just needed to get off the hard drugs so I could go back to the things in life that I loved like drinking and smoking pot. After spending some time in treatment I decided to go for the full Monty and stay completely sober.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PACC, congratulations on your sobriety! Glad you dodged those bullets!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 years!!!!

I'm a recovering crack addict though did a little bit of everything. Years ago, I was talking to a cop who knew my story. He said "you do know how special you are, right? Most people don't get off crack".

I don't know that I'm special, but like you, I feel that if I can do it, anyone can.

I also know that when I came to SR, I needed to hear from people that others thought were hopeless.

You are one of those people and you're celebrating 3 YEARS!!! Thank you

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-29-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
skg

Congratulations. Personally, I believe we are all miracles. We have been given an opportunity to become better than "well." Essentially, broken beyond hope, we are given a 'do-over,' to live they way we were designed: In humility and gratitude through Grace. How much more proof is necessary?

Thank God.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's amazing when you think about the mind set that drives us to self destruction with such single minded intent. When you consider the rapidity of the complete turn around bought on by the 12 steps and the need to help others instead of using them it truly is a miracle.