Notices

Low Blood Sugar and Anxiety Attacks

Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Low Blood Sugar and Anxiety Attacks

Hey everyone,

Sober here for about 5.5 months and doing way better than before...PAWS symptoms much reduced. Even able to drink a little coffee here and there without too much anxiety, more on that in a sec.

However, I have been experiencing some occasional anxiety attacks right before lunch that I attribute to not eating enough for breakfast. Does anyone else notice their anxiety ratchet up when they haven't eaten enough and the blood sugar is low?

I probably should totally stop with the caffeine again too, but a little bit seems to really help things. Thoughts on this? I have been an anxiety sufferer most of my life (comes and goes over the years).

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5.5mos, Plure!

Sorry, I cant help you out about the anxiety ( I get very faint when I haven't eaten though. )

I quit all caffeine at the same time as benzos, 7mos ago ( coffee & pop...boy do I miss caffeinated coffee! Lol )

You should talk to your doc about the anxiety attacks ( just not to a drug pushing one. )
Old 06-21-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i get very shaky if I don't eat right........and I've noticed being hungry is a big trigger for me......I plan on getting tested for this once I have a few months of sobriety under my belt.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am an anxiety-prone person, although sober and living a balanced life, I rarely experience anything problematic now. Yes I definitely tend to havee increased anxiety when I have not eaten for many hours, or enough. Also with too much caffeine, especially on empty stomach. What really helps is to have a regular diet and not skip meals. I'm also a slim person and do not have a ton of stocks (fat that can be converted into energy) I believe; usually if I am starving, I am really starving, my attention suffers, mood, etc.

But also depends on the type of food... I personally don't like sweets much and rarely eat them, but if you do, and consume them, again, on empty stomach, you can trigger quite unpleasant crashes after the initial "sugar high", involving that anxiety and whatever associated with a drop in blood sugar.

On the caffeine, I used to drink coffee all day... a couple years ago reduced that to 1-2 cups in the morning, and rarely anything else later in the day. It makes a difference for me anxiety-wise.