Notices

Acceptance is the answer Story page 407

Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance is the answer Story page 407

At a meeting today and we read this entire story. I've read this several times but today for some reason something stood out that never had before.

What stood out is all of the talk of drugs in our BB. At the meetings I attend when drugs get mentioned it's met with disapproval (primary purpose). I just find it surprising that this is in the book (and has been since the 2nd edition).

I managed my physical craving for years by taking pills. As I heard a speaker say once the booze was always in the big tent and the pills were just a side show - but nevertheless pills and pot are a part of my alcoholism.

Not really trying to make a big statement here - not really even giving an opinion on it - I just found it interesting that drugs were so freely discussed in arguably the most quoted story in the BB.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Drugs are a part of Dr Bobs story as well. I appreciate the "primary purpose" point that's made in many meetings because there are times when the topic can go too far afield. On the other hand drugs were such a significant part of many peoples story that failing to mention that aspect would border on dishonesty IMO.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Paul O. wrote that story and can be heard on xa speakers.org.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

it is rare to run across a alcoholic who did not abuse drugs of some kind.Most of us are alcoholics and had problems with drugs.
We should talk about drugs and medicines in AA meetings so the new alcoholics will find out they can be helped in AA and are one of us.
When I addressed my alcoholism with the 12 steps,my drug problems vanished .
Like it was said above,we can go too far and we should remember our primary purpose while the meetings are going on.
There is also a story in the big book about a heroin addict alcoholic,but I can`t remember the name of the story.

Those AA folks who seem to try to make you cringe when you mention drugs give me the creeps.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
it is rare to run across a alcoholic who did not abuse drugs of some kind.Most of us are alcoholics and had problems with drugs.
We should talk about drugs and medicines in AA meetings so the new alcoholics will find out they can be helped in AA and are one of us.
When I addressed my alcoholism with the 12 steps,my drug problems vanished .
Like it was said above,we can go too far and we should remember our primary purpose while the meetings are going on.
There is also a story in the big book about a heroin addict alcoholic,but I can`t remember the name of the story.

Those AA folks who seem to try to make you cringe when you mention drugs give me the creeps.
I am one of those who drugs / pills weren't part of my story. Who knows, if I continued to go on, I might have brought them in at some point. Drugs scared me, so I stuck to what I knew. (I took acid once and it freaked me out beyond measure. Dope was just dull)

But I realize that most of the folks coming into the program, especially the younger ones, have drugs as a part of their story for sure. I don't get bent out of shape when someone mentions drugs in their story, as I know for some one goes with the other. Of course we toss out the "primary purpose" if it gets out of hand, but for the most part, I give berth now. Popping pills isn't anything new, even in Bill and Dr. Bob's time!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good point, Sandy, I have never picked up on that aspect of Dr. Paul O's story.

Drugs are a part of my story and addiction.

I have always been a little put off by the bleeding deacons who complain about the mention of drugs in AA.

I am a member of AA because I have a desire to stop drinking.

There is no Tradition which prohibits mentioning drugs in AA meetings.

I seldom (as in almost never) mention drugs in AA meetings, but I don't like seeing newcomers lectured by oldtimers for this perceived infraction.

As an old timer, my job is to make newcomers feel welcome and to try to put them on the path to sobriety, as best I can.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by SandyBeach1 View Post
Not really trying to make a big statement here - not really even giving an opinion on it - I just found it interesting that drugs were so freely discussed in arguably the most quoted story in the BB.
I know a lot of good-old-timers who hate that story because it goes into detail about drugs other than alcohol a bit too much.

I myself like it because it mirrors a paragraph in the 12&12 that covers acceptance equally as well:

"It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us. If somebody hurts us and we are sore, we are in the wrong also. But are there no exceptions to this rule? What about “justifiable” anger? If somebody cheats us, aren’t we entitled to be mad? Can’t we be properly angry with self-righteous folk? For us of A.A. these are dangerous exceptions. We have found that justified anger ought to be left to those better qualified to handle it."
(Bill W/Tom P)
Old 03-27-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I think it was 1981 Dr Paul came to NZ and addressed our annual convention as guest speaker on the Saturday night. His tales of drug use, he was using various mixtures to manage his alcoholism, were absolutely hilarious, almost brought the house down. It was a great public event and a wonderful atmosphere and I enjoyedvthe night as did most others.

I didn't have a clue what he was talking about with all his pills and potions, and I thought he must have been quite stupid to use drugs that way. But looking at it now, the key ing was the drugs were part of his attempt to mange his alcholism. I have since met other alcoholic doctors with similar stories.

Some of the old timers back then objected to the comedy aspect of his talk, but I don't recall any objections to the content. His story is as valid as anyone else's.

However it has reached a paricular status which I am not sure is appropriate. His opinions on acceptance are his own, not part of the experience aof the original crew. One statement that bothers me is the idea that nothing happens in Gods world by mistake. That may be true of his God, but how does it square with another's conception of God? This is a crucial element of our program, the freedom to develop our own beliefs. Pauls story ought not be presented as part of the program any more than the other stories.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I think it was 1981 Dr Paul came to NZ and addressed our annual convention as guest speaker on the Saturday night. His tales of drug use, he was using various mixtures to manage his alcoholism, were absolutely hilarious, almost brought the house down. It was a great public event and a wonderful atmosphere and I enjoyedvthe night as did most others.

I didn't have a clue what he was talking about with all his pills and potions, and I thought he must have been quite stupid to use drugs that way. But looking at it now, the key ing was the drugs were part of his attempt to mange his alcholism. I have since met other alcoholic doctors with similar stories.

Some of the old timers back then objected to the comedy aspect of his talk, but I don't recall any objections to the content. His story is as valid as anyone else's.

However it has reached a paricular status which I am not sure is appropriate. His opinions on acceptance are his own, not part of the experience aof the original crew. One statement that bothers me is the idea that nothing happens in Gods world by mistake. That may be true of his God, but how does it square with another's conception of God? This is a crucial element of our program, the freedom to develop our own beliefs. Pauls story ought not be presented as part of the program any more than the other stories.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There was this bleeding deacon who got on me about mentioning drugs in meetings. "Well if I heard anything about heroin at my first meeting I wouldn't have came back to AA." He got sober back in the 1970s when heroin was a taboo subject. Its 2015 and most people under 30 in my area where heroin addicts. It the drug of choice in the North East US of A. I think its important to mention drugs because the dynamics of substance abuse have changed a lot and it helps attract young people to the program. On a side note, I have noticed that AA has evolved in a lot of areas and it has become acceptable to mention drugs in meetings. However, in my current area that is not the case. AA id full of old traditionalists and NA get all the newcomers.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I'm a Third Addition baby and have a hard time accepting that they moved it from page 449! There's always something to work on

I got clean and sober in both AA (and NA) in 1981 when talk of drugs was way more controversial than it is today. There are meetings here that still make it known that they prefer to "keep it to alcohol". Over the years I've learned that it always isn't about me and to focus less on the substance than the process of recovery.

-allan
Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm just a plain old alcoholic. I really can't relate to taking drugs. Even here at SR when I read, for instance, someone talking about how their relapse started with drinking wine and soon they were being shot up with heroin by their local pusher I'm lost. I can't relate. It leaves me wondering if the only desire to stop drinking is so that it doesn't lead to heroin... if what's really desired is heroin and the alcohol is just to release inhibitions. I don't know what to say and just leave it for someone to come along who understands. I guess the closest I can come to understanding is having taken pain meds for nine weeks while a ruptured disk healed. I got how someone could become addicted to them but even with that saw it as more likely to lead me to drinking again and not to continued use of the meds. I'm just being honest saying I can't wrap my head around visiting a pusher or using a needle. That kind of desire surpasses my comprehension. I really do believe, in my limited abilities, that NA would serve someone addicted to heroin better than AA and, if encountering that f2f at a meeting, I would encourage the person to address the addiction at NA seeing AA as, perhaps, an avoidance of dealing with the primary problem but I certainly wouldn't discourage them from attending AA and would share my ES&H as best I could.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

The longer I am in recovery, the more I see that it is less about the alcohol, and more about what I run to instead of GOD.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been sober for a little over 17 years now, and while I understand that acceptance is the answer to all my problems, my experience has been that there's a long distance between the head & the heart. What I mean is that I've never been able to wave a magic wand and simply accept something difficult instantly. I've had to pray for long periods for acceptance of something, and I've also learned that acceptance comes from repeated, persistent action on my part.

I first believed that if I simply desired acceptance with respect to a given situation that it would happen much more easily than it seems to happen in practice. It's essential, for sure, but with respect to very difficult matters, true acceptance can be difficult to achieve. At least that's been my experience. It's something on which I continue to work.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Isn't it wonderful that we have Traditions and other literature so we don't have to keep debating everyone's personal opinion on this (still) controversial topic. ;-)
Old 04-01-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My sponsor told me to read this story after we'd gone through Step 5 together. It was very funny and made me think. (I never got into drugs apart from a few spliffs that were gifted to me by some romantic would-be suitor in my early teens (what a good match HE would have been for me huh - lucky escape!) The way my body and mind responded to alcohol made me scared to even try anything harder).

Anyway - he's a very funny guy and there's a recording of him speaking on youtube if you fancy a listen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLRWfIJWyg