Notices

quitting as part of larger self-improvement...

Old 03-19-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quitting as part of larger self-improvement...

So I'm just about through day 4 and everything is well. The weekend will pose some challenges but it should be fine.

That brings me to another point. If I (or anyone IMO) just quit drinking and changed nothing else in their lives, it will harder in the end. Quitting for me is really part of a larger life plan for me moving forward. I bought a house, and my drinking never slowed, and i didn't do any better of a job keeping track of my money. So when I got my last bank statement and it showed an overdraft on my checking account last month, I knew I had to change not one, but a few different things about how I was living.

First off, I'm quitting drinking for health/safety/responsability reasons. But it also costs money to be drinking as much as I was (I'm sure you can relate).

Once I saw the overdraft I made a list of rules:

1: No more Dunkins or fast food. This is impulse buy stuff. costs too much and you get into the habit of buying it too often. Plus fast food is just no good for you.

2: Less drinking. I've since just decided to quit altogether. I think for 98% of the people on here it's an all-or-nothing deal.

3: Budget. I'm making a list of what every penny gets spent on. In a month or so I'll see whats getting cut. Just cutting out beer this week I've saved myself at least $40.

4: Sell what I don't need. I have alot of expensive hobbies and too much gear. So Ill eventually get around to selling the stuff I don't use.

5: Get more excersise. I'm a pretty active person, but as the metabolism slows down, I can feel myself losing energy, maybe getting a beer gut, and just feeling sluggish. Quitting gives more way more motivation to get out and keep being active. I think it helps tremendously for anyone quitting, to have something else to do that you can occupy your time with. I never really got to the point where I gave up things I enjoyed to just sit home and drink, but I did drink while I was doing those things sometimes.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ramius View Post
So I'm just about through day 4 and everything is well. The weekend will pose some challenges but it should be fine.

That brings me to another point. If I (or anyone IMO) just quit drinking and changed nothing else in their lives, it will harder in the end. Quitting for me is really part of a larger life plan for me moving forward. I bought a house, and my drinking never slowed, and i didn't do any better of a job keeping track of my money. So when I got my last bank statement and it showed an overdraft on my checking account last month, I knew I had to change not one, but a few different things about how I was living.

First off, I'm quitting drinking for health/safety/responsability reasons. But it also costs money to be drinking as much as I was (I'm sure you can relate).

Once I saw the overdraft I made a list of rules:

1: No more Dunkins or fast food. This is impulse buy stuff. costs too much and you get into the habit of buying it too often. Plus fast food is just no good for you.

2: Less drinking. I've since just decided to quit altogether. I think for 98% of the people on here it's an all-or-nothing deal.

3: Budget. I'm making a list of what every penny gets spent on. In a month or so I'll see whats getting cut. Just cutting out beer this week I've saved myself at least $40.

4: Sell what I don't need. I have alot of expensive hobbies and too much gear. So Ill eventually get around to selling the stuff I don't use.

5: Get more excersise. I'm a pretty active person, but as the metabolism slows down, I can feel myself losing energy, maybe getting a beer gut, and just feeling sluggish. Quitting gives more way more motivation to get out and keep being active. I think it helps tremendously for anyone quitting, to have something else to do that you can occupy your time with. I never really got to the point where I gave up things I enjoyed to just sit home and drink, but I did drink while I was doing those things sometimes.

Just thought I'd share.
Wow, this resonates with me more than anything I've ever read on here. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing these ideas!

Money is a huge part. Looking at my bank statement and seeing all the $10 trips to the liquor store for a bottle of wine is disturbing in the light of day. And when you're strapped for cash, some people can be forced into sobriety.

But there's also what I consider the "Second Act," and I think that's primarily what you're talking about. Sobriety is just one part of a greater plan: getting healthier, trackling finances, selling the gadgets, hanging up your vices, and embarking on the Second Act of your life.

I went to Taco Bell today (after the gym, ironically). It's not the worst fast food, but it's very high in sodium. When I was looking at the regular nachos for $1.29 I thought, "I can buy a bag of tortillas for $2.00 and they'll last a month." Paying for convenience can be almost addictive as alcohol and I'm trying to break myself of that too.

I also have some expensive hobbies, but they're not inherently expensive. I don't need a squat rack and a punching bag in my office, I have them at the gym. I can make a quick $500 off them on eBay or craigslist, so I'm doing just that.

But the biggest thing is focusing on overall, dynamic self-improvement. If I solely focused on sobriety, which I've done in the past, I fall flat on my face. Being the best me has to be about more than just being a sober me. Sobriety can be great, but I'm healthier focusing more on my strengths than my weaknesses. It sounds like you're on the right track, and I'm really glad you posted this.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan. It's about so much more than just stopping drinking, isn't it! You will have a healthier lifestyle and a better handle on your budget.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
That sounds like a good plan. It's about so much more than just stopping drinking, isn't it! You will have a healthier lifestyle and a better handle on your budget.
Your signature says it perfectly!