Notices

Confused and hazy

Old 03-19-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Confused and hazy

I am confused with everything, I enjoyed my two days cause the weather was spring like weather. However, I been having difficulty with controlling my yelling. I get really upset over my sons voice. When he is tired or when he wants something he talks in this high voice, he’s only 4 and I have to keep telling him to talk to me normal. This past 2 days been very hard to calm down. I have to repeat and repeat over and over to my son about don’t do this or don’t do that. It’s very tiredness and annoying, Last night I get home from my daughters cheer practice and my son and my husband got his hair cut. When it was like 930pm my husband decides to ask me to take him to bed. I just flip out and told him I don’t feel like it, has been not so good today. Been with my son for 8-10 hours yesterday and I really feel bad cause it wasn’t anyone’s fault besides me. I just feel very irritable this week, I feel like a bird pecking at me every second on my skull. Doesn’t feel so good it actually hurts….

I am not really sure why I feel this way, but its really annoying too.. Maybe I feel this way too cause I don't have job and I do the same thing everyday, wake up, take a shower, feed my son breakfast, listen to his shows and game all day.. Sometimes we will play board games or work in his worksheet book... but most of time he cant stay in one place. But him watching his cartoons he will watch and stay there for days. I don't think that is healthy either. Urgh!!

My husband works downtown Indiana, it takes about 1 1/2 hours to get home which could be like 7pm on the week-days... We just don't have much time with each other either. I don't know, I am just tired and sick of something. Maybe the same routine everyday... I need something really exciting in my life.... Its not go drink, but I need something!!!

Who freakin knows!!!

What do you do to get out of this confused and hazy?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish I could advise. I never had to raise a child. I imagine 4 is a tough age - twice as much as two. All I can say is with the spring weather coming, try to get outside as much as you can. Run him (4 yr old) into the ground. He probably has a lot of energy.
Think of a hobby or places you'd like to spend time with/doing that he can participate in.

I didn't have kids, and I know I went a little batty after a few months.
Hang in there.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are there any play-groups or drop-in type nursery schools where you could take your child so he could interact with other children? Are there other kids in the neighborhood so he could invite someone over to play with him? Most libraries have a story hour for young kids and that would something fun for him. It's hard in early recovery but he just wants to be a kid. It could be helpful to praise him for good behavior and maybe set up a reward system for him using stars or stickers or something like that. It could encourage the kind of behaviour you want from him.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jen-there have been times I have felt hazy. It does go away though. Just keep hanging in there. Kids can be very trying at times, esp young ones. Try and do something special for yourself at night when both your kids go to bed. Get yourself a special nail polish and paint your toenails, get yourself a special food item, or a special seltzer water. Keep on remembering that there are always good days and bad days.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Children can be hard on the patience, specially in recovery.
I have an 8 year old and love him to death. But man, sometimes, only a taser comes to mind. LOL!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

When my daughter was little I worked overnights and stayed up with her all day until my husband got home at 4pm and I could sleep until 10pm. I don't recommend it. What I had to do was get out of the house. Everyday we would go to a park or a zoo otherwise the urge to sleep would overtake me. I imagine it would work with the crabbies too. Remember they are only little for a short time.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

This place, the St. Paul version was one of my favorite places to take her. For $100 or less you can get a full year pass and go as much as you like. We are lucky to have them near us.
https://www.childrensmuseum.org/
Old 03-19-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You don't sound confused to me at all. You sound frustrated and bored. I felt that way in early sobriety too. Trust your inner voice, and find the courage to responsibly honor it.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

I really don't know how recovery parents can deal with this all specially when its their early in sobriety..
Old 03-19-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Early sobriety sucks whenever you do it. Life goes on around us even though we are off our game. Try to plan something fun for yourself and your son. Realize this is temporary and it is a huge great change you are making. 4 year olds are more manageable when they have gotten to expend some physical energy. Venting here will help you.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jen, when my kids were that age we did Gymboree, library programs, preschool, anything to get out a socialize. You can't stay cooped up with a 4 yr old... not good for either one of you! There are tons of free programs for toddlers and you'll meet some moms too!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I strongly agree, get out of the house with your son and do things. You will both be a lot happier and healthier.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Jen, oh, I so feel your pain! Im at home with my three year old (I have a seven year old too) and he is driving me batty lately! It's just the age, but good lord, he can be such a challenge. Of course, we've been stuck in the house for months because of the ridiculous amount of snow we've had this winter, it just sucks. I take him to a local music class once a week and to story time at the library once a week. He loves it, and it's nice to just get out of the house. Spring is coming, the snow is starting to melt and I can see light at the end of the tunnel, we even got to go outside once last week!! Lol. We pick up my daughter at school every day and today he started running in the parking lot, so I go after him and he falls and then I fall on top of him! It's always fun to fall in public, ugh. Kids are just tough and every mom yells sometimes and if they say they don't, they are lying! Nobody's perfect. Maybe you can try to get some alone time too?