Notices

It is decision time!

Old 08-17-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is decision time!

Tomorrow, I am calling a counselor at the Addiction Institute of New York (formerly Smithers), to set up a date for an evaluation, and to get myself in an out-patient rehab program. I would love to go as an in-patient, but I cannot take that much time off from work, and, frankly, I cannot afford the cost.
My insurance would probably pay some of the costs, but that means that my company, one way or another, would know about this.

No more beer or wine -- my poisons of choice -- allowed in the house. I can no longer go drink in bars, because I am a smoker, and smoking is banned from public places in the entire state of New York. This should help.

I know, I said tomorrow. Tomorrow, at this hour, you are all allowed to beat up on me if I have not made an appointment. And I won't lie about it either.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gatsby,

Just do it. It will be one of the best decisions you make, if you want to enjoy a new life. I love my outpatient counselor, as well as AA and SR. Let us know how everything goes. I'll say a prayer for you.

Sherry
Old 08-17-2004, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I know, I said tomorrow. Tomorrow, at this hour, you are all allowed to beat up on me if I have not made an appointment. And I won't lie about it either.
No beatings Gatsby... But an affirmation of your resolve when you wake up tomorrow will help you set the tone for the day. Take a few minutes in the early part of your day to remember where you've been, and of how you felt when you were there.
About people, places and things that we may have to change...
It's an extremely personal decision to enter recovery. And it usually happens because we have reached a dead end. Changing our behavior implies a new set of priorities for many of us, specially in early recovery. Recovery comes first is the mantra many of us are told should become our prime directive.
It's never easy to leave friends behind. Try not to view it as an abandonment, but rather as growth and the setting down of a new and healthy way of life.
Not drinking is not a sober life in and of itself. It's only the start.
See ya tomorrow
Old 08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dan!

Thanks for being so supportive and -- yes -- sensitive. I feel dreadful about having to keep some of my friends -- people I have known for a very long time, people who have comforted me, been there for me, and generally done many things for me -- away, because they drink. That is total betrayal on my part. I do not want to hiurt them, or to hurt myself. Any suggestion on how I can handle this?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I do believe you will call for that appointment tommorow ..I did an outpatient treatment program and it was great for me , alls I had left to lose at that point in my life was my misery .If you do it , it will be the best thing you ever did for yourself . I am pulling for you ! Prayers ^ Trish
Old 08-17-2004, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Red face Thank you all for your incredible support!

I am so glad I found this site!

Thanks everybody!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Gatsby
Any suggestion on how I can handle this?
I saw your post in Christine's thread and responded here as best I could. You can either view these immediate changes as sacrifices or as commitments towards a new and improved you. Above all, again, is honesty. Should some people feel betrayed or hurt might be because of their own fears and concerns. It's all about feeling comfortable with yourself Gatsby.
That has to be your primary concern right now.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Wondering how you are doing today and how the phone call went .Let us know ..prayers ^ Trish
Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Gatsby, like Dan has said no beating anyone up in here...heck we do it to ourselves enough as it is, right?

I'm with Trish here, wondering how things went for you.

Wishing you all the best in finding peace in this mess.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Gatsby

How did the phone conversation go? Make the call...you'll feel better for doing so. A big weight will be lifted from your shoulders. I know it's a scary thing to take the first step initially, but afterwards the outcome is well worth it. Come on, make the call. We're here to support you in the matter.

Take care,

Talia
Old 08-18-2004, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trish, Justme2, Talia,

My contact at the institute is on vacation. I have, however, been playing telephone tags with his replacement. I'll catch her or she'll catch me. I CANNOT wait to get an evaluation, and get into a rehab program!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

I'm sorry to hear that Gatsby. How frustrating for you, you finally make the call and your contact up and leaves on vacation. How dare they!!!! LOL. Hopefully a short vacation is scheduled. Sounds like par for the course doesn't it? Hope things work out for you soon. Sounds like you're more then ready to get started on your recovery. Good luck...
Old 08-18-2004, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

You go girl!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I am so glad to hear it !