Notices

Would AA be right for me?

Old 08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would AA be right for me?

I am an alcohol abuser, with what some people say are signs of alcoholism. I am currently in a weekly substance abuse group lead by a counselor, but that will be ending soon. I have been sober since February and am having a difficult time coping as I don't have any friends and my family isn't terribly supportive. The anxiety is getting to be too much. I am wondering if AA would be right for me. My biggest concern is that it won't be helpful for me to attend meetings because I am an Atheist and that's rarely welcomed by Christians around here. I'm also not sure that I am an alcoholic. Should I go and see what it's like or would it be a waste of my time?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi Erin! Welcome to SR! You can be an athiest and still go to AA. All that AA asks is that you believe in a "power greater then yourself"! It could be anything. You are the only one who knows if you are an alcoholic or not. That is your decision. I know my admittance to that and going to AA have changed my life for the better.

Stick around!
Hugs to you,
Missy
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

It certainly couldn't hurt you. Being welcomed by warm, caring, understanding people couldn't be a waste of your time, could it? As far as being an Athiest, You choose your own HP. It can be whatever you want it to be. Be it spiritual or anything you deem positive or uplifting. That is something for you to decide solely. Good luck and give it a try. I don't think it could hurt, you may find it extremely helpful. Good luck...

Take care,

Talia
Old 08-17-2004, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

AA is one alcoholic helping another. Quitting is very difficult to do on one's own. Personally, I don't know anyone in f2f who has succeeded.

All AA asks re Higher Power is to be open. You can use GOD as your higher power (Good Orderly Direction or Group Of Drunks). It just has to be something greater than you.

I am not religious. I have found my answer in spirituality.

Welcome Erin!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I don't know anyone in f2f who has succeeded.
Huh? You haven't? I have, many people.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Nope, not for long......... probably because I hang around with aa ppl or rehab ppl I've known ppl who have made it for a year or more and wound up drinking. And in the rooms of AA or another program.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get a list of meetings from my substance abuse group leader and try one. It can't hurt me any.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

erin

At AA take what you can use and if any bible bashers try pushing... just collect the info that is helpful to what you need. In among words you may not care to hear, you will find wisdom. Not all that are at AA are Christians and not all Christians who may be at AA are bible bashers.

You will do fine and you will find they won't bother you as you may think.
AA is made up of people and we all are different.
(some of us just walk about with a bible to hit people over the head with *LOL*)

Go to AA for you and gather what You need. You will do great.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by _erin
Thanks for the replies. I think I will get a list of meetings from my substance abuse group leader and try one. It can't hurt me any.
Hi Erin,

I would suggest attending at least 6 meetings before making up your mind if AA is for you. Listen to those who are sharing what happened to them, how they got here and what it is like now. Get some phone numbers and call them.

I know for myself that at my first AA meeting, I felt like I was home. I am grateful that I had someone with me that knew about AA, he had some great sobriety and he passed onto me, what was passed to him

One of the things that I found very useful in my early sobriety at AA meetings, was when this wonderful member of AA shared this with me.
"Patsy, if anyone tells you that you HAVE to do this or that, then get away from them, because thats not what we do here in the halls of AA"

Stick with the winners Erin, and you will know the winners because they will have a smile on their face, they will be reaching out their hand to help newcomers, they will be attending AA meetings, and they will have a sponsor of their own.

I am not religious, I do not attend church, but I do believe deeply in a Power Greater than myself. This is a spiritual program Erin, not a religious one.

I am grateful that I had those who reached out to me when I was a newcomer, and they shared with me, gave me suggestions, and then simply shared with me to keep coming. I did Erin, and I am so very very grateful that I did This is a WE program Erin, we help one another to stay sober one day at a time and today....I have been given a life second to none today, and I didn't do it alone

If what you are doing isn't working Erin, then by all means try AA meetings, and then just keep coming.

Patsy
Old 08-18-2004, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Erin,
I remember your post from the other forum. I'm glad to see you're looking for solutions.
Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-18-2004, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Erin,

AA was the last place i wanted to be but it's the best place i've ever been.