Notices

Here I am... again

Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I am... again

Hello! Not my first time here, but hopefully I can stick it out this time. I've been "trying" to quit for some time now, maybe a few years. I quit, I feel good, then I don't feel good, then something comes up that "requires" drinking (weddings, parties, weekends) and I'm back. I want to drink and not get sloshed, but that's not possible. I've tried too many times and it just doesn't work for me. I always tell myself I need to eat more next time, I need to skip the liquor, I need to do this, I need to do that. For a while it was tough because my husband didn't really agree that I needed to quit, partially because he likes drinking, too, although he is much more in control than I am. He doesn't like when I get out of control either, but he also was thinking that I could control it. I can't and I think he is starting to realize that.

After spending the majority of the day in bed yesterday so sick to my stomach, I realized that is becoming commonplace again. I don't drink during the week, because I don't even LIKE having a drink or two. It makes me sleepy and now with all the trouble I've had it makes me incredibly anxious. It's all or nothing for me and I really need to stick to nothing. My husband is with me and said we can get rid of the alcohol in the house (leftover from a party). I felt so terrible yesterday, he walked in on me getting sick in the trash can in our bedroom and I felt disgusting. I don't want to feel that way and I don't want anyone to have to "take care of me" any more.

Sigh. I've been here before and I'm back again. I need to make a commitment and a plan. It's easy to say now, but I need to think forward because I've obviously not done well. Problem is a lot of my friends are heavy drinkers. I can make plans with them that don't involve alcohol sometimes, but I don't know if I should even see any of them any time soon. Is it OK to hermit for a while? These are good friends I am talking about, got rid of my drinking buddies a long time ago when I first wanted to quit, but I still don't know that most of them would really "get" my problem.

So, anyway, sorry to ramble. Just still feeling awful from the weekend and trying not to let it get me down as I get through this week. Any advice I suppose would be welcome.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi KT, I think everyone has a different threshold when they get to the point they want to quick drinking altogether. I'm in a similar situation, don't drink during the week. Drink on weekends. I guess I feel somewhat fortunate that I don't blackout, I haven't thrown up from alcohol in 10 years. But I want to stop altogether. Many people here can give you very good advice. I won't offer advice as I have yet to kick the demon, but I support you 100% in your efforts to quit.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome KT its nice to meet you
Old 03-16-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Yes, it's okay to be a bit of hermit for awhile in early recovery. In fact, it's okay to do whatever works for you to stay sober. Many of us have to make some changes with friends in our lives and activities too. I'm glad you found us and that you are ready to change your life.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hello Kt xxx
Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome KeepTrucking

D
Old 03-16-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to see you KeepTruckin'! You're among friends. This place is open 24/7.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome!

Yes, it's okay to be a bit of hermit for awhile in early recovery. In fact, it's okay to do whatever works for you to stay sober. Many of us have to make some changes with friends in our lives and activities too. I'm glad you found us and that you are ready to change your life.
Absolutely this. Just make sure you don't get stuck in hermit mode, like moi.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome KeepTruckin!!