Notices

New and Need Help?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Need Help?

Hi everyone,

I stumbled onto this message board at a time in my life where I believe I need some help/ guidance. I'm hoping I am at the right place!

I guess first and foremost, I will say that I've come to realize that I need some help with drinking. I am in my early 30's, single have an amazing career, and come from a family that has alcoholism running on both sides. I've known quite a lot about alcoholism due to my mother, but never considered myself as someone who has an issue until lately.

I don't drink but one day a week, I'm very health, work out, do yoga, etc etc...I generally lead a very normal and usually happy life. But I am starting to notice some real issues with who I become when I drink.

Although I don't drink except one day/night a week, I usually drink a lot. The first drink or two and I'm fine, but after a certain point, it's like a switch flips in my brain. I end up throwing back straight vodka without a care in the world until I'm black out drunk or totally give myself alcohol sickness. This doesn't happen all that often but the fact that it happens at all is a problem for me at my age. It's not cute.

Even more so, is the issue of me wanting to drop drinking, and not feeling like I'm strong enough to quit. Even for 30 days.

The issues that come with drinking far outweigh the reward, and I don't know how to stop.

I want to be a sober person.

Or at least be the kind of person who can go out and have 2 glasses of wine and say no beyond that. (if that's possible)

I'm just really at a confused point in my life with this, and would love some advice.

I was even thinking of going to AA meetings if that might be of any help?

Thanks in advance, and thank you for being sensitive to issues like these
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Chaosbydesign its nice to meet you
Old 03-09-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, cha0s; glad you found us.

Have a look around the site; there is a wealth of information on alcoholism and addiction.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you Chaos. This is a really good place to talk things over. Glad you joined us.

I wish I'd taken a hard look at what drinking did to me in my 30's. Like you, I suspected I had a problem - and knew I didn't drink the way my friends did. Once it was in my system I never knew what might happen. No control or ability to just have one or two. It isn't how often we drink, but what it does to us when we do. For me, later in life I found myself drinking all day. I never imagined I'd end up there. You're wise to be questioning your habits now.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome cha0sbydesign

I think everyone is strong enough to quit - especially with some support berhind you, and you'll find loads of that here

glad you found us

D
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

As Hevyn said, alcoholism is not so much about how often or how much you drink, it's about what happens to you when you drink? Once you have crossed that invisible line where you can't stop, there is no going back. But, you can live a wonderful sober life as many of us here are doing. I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on conducting a little self inventory and realizing a change might be a good idea.
I drink on weekends but want to quit, which is how I found this site. Lots of great info here. Good luck to you.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here and seeking support. It never runs out here 24/7.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cha0sbydesign!!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in a very similar boat! stay strong and best of luck to you
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. I'm smiling over here knowing that there are some kind folks that get it, and are around to help. I have no idea where I go from here, except that I've finally admitted to myself that I NEED help, so I guess I've taken step #1.

I'm spending some time this evening reading through other peoples posts, and reading up about alcoholism and binge drinking.

It's very scary to realize that I may be battling this disease for the rest of my life amidst a world where practically everyone drinks socially and otherwise. I have to be healthy though, and I believe being genuinely happy is on the other side of being sober.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! Your in the right place. This thing is progressive so reaching out now is awesome! My story is much like yours. 31, F, great career.. I joined last September and it's been so valuable! I use the app all the time to check in and hold myself accountable. Glad you are here!