What to take with me

Old 03-05-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to take with me

I hope this isn't too off topic.

I am going to make a list of what items I should take with me if/when I end up going to the DV shelter.

It's going to take a fair amount of work and some time to gather things because we moved in to this new place Nov 1 and I have stuff scattered in boxes and totes in two different storage buildings on this property and one small pay monthly storage space.
Nothing is organized, it's going to be a lot of WORK.

Anyhow, I know I'm going to keep the small pay monthly storage space v(It's only $30 and my 24yo said she could pay it for a few months.)
I'm going to try and gather all of the photos and momentos and put them there.
Before I had to sell my professional camera and lens, I had a newborn, baby, child & family photography business and i have TONS of props and stuff that will have to stay in the pay storage I guess.

But what do I want to take with me? Pack like I'm going on a long trip? I imagine since I don't have a vehicle, I'll be at the shelter for quite some time once I'm there?

I know to take important papers/documents with me.
What about practical stuff?
Clothes is obvious, different pairs of shoes, slippers, boots, my health and beauty stuff, cell phone & charger.

I guess put my computer in paid storage unit too?
My own blanket and pillow? I'm picky about those....

medications, vitamins.

If/when I go, my former co-worker, social worker friend said she would pick me up during the day and take me. She has contacts there at the DV shelter.

Anything else you can think of that I should take with me?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't really know, but certainly praying for you!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess you need to take into consideration as to what your goals are beyond the short term shelter. As for the baby photography props, why keep them unless you need them for when you pick that up again? If you don't plan to pick it back up, why not sell them (and other such items) so you can get some pocket money you may need for bus fare or a rental care?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
I guess you need to take into consideration as to what your goals are beyond the short term shelter. As for the baby photography props, why keep them unless you need them for when you pick that up again? If you don't plan to pick it back up, why not sell them (and other such items) so you can get some pocket money you may need for bus fare or a rental care?
I hope to pick it back up again, Refiner. There are some things to sell, but again, since I don't have transportation, it makes it very difficult to get things done.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
I guess you need to take into consideration as to what your goals are beyond the short term shelter.

I don't know what my goals would be.
I mean I KNOW what the goals are (job, housing, transportation) but I have no idea how I'm going to meet those goals.....
Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fyi I know you don't want to live WITH your brother in Indy but since it's a neighboring state to KY I wanted to let you know of a media release today that hiring in the Indy market is getting ready to boom for the area in Psychiatry. It is deemed a large but currently underserved market and in need of professionals. I hope you can Google and learn more if you want to keep going in that direction professionally.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Is the DV shelter a secure enough place to bring important papers and documents? Is there anyone whom you could trust with them? Or a safe-deposit box at the bank, perhaps? And only bring photo copies of what you might actually need? I have no idea just how secure DV shelters are for that kind of stuff. Maybe they even have a safe on site available to put the papers in, don't know.
Good luck with this! sending hugs
Old 03-05-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I wouldn't take too much to the shelter. There isn't a whole lot of room, and residents are going to be moving freely. It isn't a hotel, and there won't be a safe deposit box. I would let your daughter hold onto anything you don't want to put in the storage locker. As for what to bring to the shelter, call them and ask what they suggest. Usually things like toiletries are provided. A lot of women show up with the clothes on their backs and that's about it.

When I left my (non-abusive) second husband, I packed up 3-4 small boxes with my most important things and left them with a friend. I left the house with a couple of suitcases, and once I had found a place to live I went and got the rest with a mover.

Don't overcomplicate things. Keep it all as simple as you can, but do get some guidance from the shelter. Remember, that's what they are there for, to help you figure stuff like that out.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Definitely take all essential documents, clothing, and sentimental items. I don't know anything about DV shelters or the security of personally vital, meaning anything of value or having to do with identification that you can't carry on your person, so to the extent you can I would store them in the secure storage facility that is reasonably accessible.

The photo equipment...You wrote that you intend to get back into the business so I would lean to keeping what you have and storing it. I have no idea what the depreciation of your equipment has been, but if your small storage space can accommodate them, then I think the odds are in your favor of it being an economically smart decision. I'm an amateur photographer and while I have virtually no studio equipment I know that most is collapsible and can fit into pretty small spaces.

Wishing you well.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Take our prayers with you, pink.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

pink....I must say that I feel good to see that you are laying your plans. Stacking your bricks. This is the strong part of you showing yourself. Even, as you have felt in the dumps.
Pink, don't be afraid to dream, right now. Visualize. Picture yourself where you hope to be and what you want to accomplish. Just keep dreaming it.
That is more important than you, maybe, realize. Or, maybe, you do...LOL!
Your dreams and visualizations have a big effect o n your subconscious and can cut a path that you will follow.

Just keep on laying plans...just as you are doing now. You have a lot of time, at the moment to work relentlessly on this "mission". Keep researching and gathering all the info. that you can. Knowledge is power.

I am thinking positive thoughts for you.

dandylion
Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

PP, make sure you store or ask your daughter to look after anything which has a reasonable resale value as you'll need the money very soon. Please don't let your AH bully you into not taking items you need, just because you're the one leaving.
Don't give up on the car, because getting it fixed may be much cheaper than buying a new one. You may need to approach the original repairers and ask them to redo their work. If they are honest people you could get it for a nominal price. Concentrate on the car.
The shelter should give you an idea of what will be needed to stay there.