Notices

SR taught me about boundaries

Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR taught me about boundaries

And it's great!!!

My mother in visiting... Yesterday was my daughter's birthday so I had a lot to do for her celebration. In the am my mother asked me to help her with a 30 page document she is working on but I told her I couldn't because of the Bday celebration plus I have my own work I have to do... She didn't like it much but backed off. This morning she tried to give me a guilt trip saying that I never help her, so I just repeated that I have my own responsibilities to take care of, which is true.

Before I would have been scrambling to do everything she asked plus my things and I would be resenting my mom for "making" me help her.

It might sound strange but until I got here I had no idea about what setting boundaries means and that saying no is a possibility, an acceptable possibility.

Another reason I am so grateful for this place!!!

People came over and had some drinks but I didn't... I don't drink anymore. The best thing is that nobody pressured me or asked. Sneaky AV was hanging out but really had no power.

This is what I want and I'm doing it. I'm making it happen!!!

I started second guessing myself today but I did the right thing, correct?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was in the same place as you were. I had no boundaries in my life, especially where my immediate family was concerned. It also became glaringly obvious that lack of boundaries in my life was keeping me drinking. I have found such freedom in my life to say 'No' and feel okay, even good about it.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding Anna...
Old 03-05-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im exactly the same, I'm only just finding the need to set these boundaries now, having learnt a lot here and from other sober people
And yes, I think you did the right thing!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done fantastic Nowsthetime
Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had problems with boundaries, too. Mine was a sort of dichotomy: I would either tend to be very secretive and indifferent, or have no boundaries at all with certain people. All the self-work I have done and knowledge I have gained in sobriety has been very helpful in taking this to a healthier level, although I still struggle a but at times with my old pattern. For me, one of the people I had lots of problems setting boundaries with was my father.

Great job!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay for you!! Yay for boundaries!!

Part of the magic of sobriety is that as we grow in setting firm & powerful boundaries with alcohol, it slowly becomes second nature to take care of ourselves & set boundaries in other aspects of our lives as well.

Sometimes my boundary setting is clumsy. Sometimes people resist. I remember a couple of months ago just asking someone outright - why are you resisting my needs so vehemently?

That's part of the experience too - I've discovered that there were MANY people in my life who had chosen me because my boundaries were weak. Those folks are falling by the wayside, one boundary discussion (& ensuing discomfort) at a time. It makes me feel sad that I was allowing so many folks to take advantage of my time & resources without reciprocating! Sad & mad. I've decided that I want reciprocity in all of my friendships/relationships, as well as a bit of compassion & understanding. That is what I am now expecting of people. There are many empty spots in my life since I got sober & my vision cleared; I will leave them empty until they are filled by people who are willing to help me in return...