Notices

Suggestions on work/life balance

Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suggestions on work/life balance

It has been a devil of a week and I'm looking forward to a few days off. But I also know that the next two weeks are going to be tiring as I finish some projects and travel for work.

I realize I really need to put some mechanisms in place to get some better work/life balance. I know that we all have times we need to put in a bit more to get things done, but it seems sometimes like I work/purge in a way reminiscent of graduate school. I have issues with perfectionism too. Which can make me fiddle too long with things and/or procrastinate out of anxiety. It makes me stressed and makes me more likely to use Alcohol to reward or shut down.

I would be grateful if folks would be willing to share their best tips for calm, productive work. Also, if you have a book recommendation on this subject, I'd be appreciative. I should add that I'm blessed to have a job where I have relatively flexibility in scheduling my day and work. This both an incredible blessing and sometimes a challenge.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I received an email at work today informing me that tomorrow is "workyourhoursday" at work, basically a day when we sit back and think about our work/life balance, and if working we only work our contracted hours, with no extra hours at the end of the day.

For me it all comes down to lifestyle, plenty of sleep, good diet, plenty of fluids, I cut back on the caffeine, more herbal teas in the evening, exercise, plenty of me time throughout the work, this overall relaxed state of life filters into my work life and my overall stress levels have been reduced considerably.

The wider picture though is my Sobriety, alcohol was the root cause I can now see in hindsight as the cause of soo much anxiety/stress at work, since establishing longterm Sobriety my productivity has improved, my appraisals have been excellent, and my stress/anxiety has reduced, don't underestimate how much alcohol has been affecting your work.

Finally having a few extra tools in the toolbox of life helps for those extra stressful days at work, in the past alcohol would have been the solution, but we need something new, for me long walks in the fresh air, my Ipod in, a few tunes, and I clear my head as soon as I arrive home.

It's gonna take time to establish a new routine/lifestyle, but it can be done!!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you read 'The Gift of Imperfection" by Brene Brown? It is awesome!

There have been times when I literally have had to force myself away from a work issue when I've continued beyond the point of strained neck muscles and nasty headache. I think it's part of my addictive personality. So...I am someone who NEEDS balance every single day or my life doesn't go well.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Purple knight, you are absolutely right: those 5 months I was sober I was more productive than ever. Indeed, I am chagrined to admit that I even created a thread entitled, "how high functioning was I really?" I was doing so well and I let stress and the monkey business of others get to me. I have this bad habit too of pushing myself, thinking that what I'm doing can't be enough, ever (makes me an ideal salary employee, huh)? I just need to find that balance so I'm not pushing (like you, Anna, I will work through headaches, neck strain and twitching eyes)

Anna, I haven't read that book, but it definitely sounds like a read I'd benefit from. Thank you!