Notices

feel like I'm going backwards

Old 02-24-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feel like I'm going backwards

I've been sober for 3+ months now. In many ways, life is better (less stress, improved health, no self-loathing, life doesn't revolve around alcohol).

In other areas, I feel like my progress is going backwards. It just seems like I used to be more efficient at doing things, my memory doesn't feel like it was good as it was before I quit drinking, and I feel like I am not really making much progress with much of anything. I thought 3 months was supposed to be a good time. Now I am having a lot of self-doubt, which is triggering some really awful cravings. In the back of my mind I wonder if this is all there is in terms of recovery for me. Maybe I'm just expecting too much. I dunno.

I guess I'm looking for words of wisdom, or anything you can share since I've been having to really battle hard today. I won't be drinking tonight, but am struggling.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Strat... I felt like things just got started at three months. It was like I finally felt a bit of relief. Craving were still there but less frequent. And now as time goes on less intense but I accept they will always be there. How can they not be.

I found that it will take some more time to feel that my new sober counterweight has me in balance. Using alcohol to always constantly balance my life now requires that I go through some ... What I call cycles... Passage of time... Like seasons.

Let the feelings pass and don't try to put to much on them. When spring is here.. Time change soon... Realize you are moving along just fine. When summer hits today will feel a world away and you will be celebrating 6 months.

Stay strong!

Ken
Old 02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Strat, I didn't feel wonderful at 3 months sober. But, I did feel like I had accomplished a lot. I still had a lot of negative emotions and stuff to work through in my life though and it took some time.

If you don't feel like you're making progress, have you clear goals of what you want to do? If so, maybe you could try making a list and accomplishing one or two things on the list each day. It might make you feel like you are moving forward.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, Strat. Things were in no way great for me at the three month mark, either. I was very lethargic and foggy-brained; focusing was at times a near impossibility - reading was difficult; driving was a real challenge. Those issues didn't begin to noticeably lift until about six months and, even then, improvement was gradual.

I had no opportunity for support when I began my journey towards sobriety; basically, I white-knuckled it. One day I experienced what I call a 'Grace of God' moment where I realized that I needed to stop looking to the future to be happy in sobriety but, instead, needed to truly value and find beauty and contentment in the gift of every single sober day.

I promise you that this is not all there is. There is so very much more to come.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It actually took me longer than 3 months to feel I was back 'on top of my game' but I got back there - I'm sure you will too Strategery

D
Old 02-24-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for all your insight and wise words. You guys are amazing!
One of the things reading your words has impressed on me, is that I need to work on being more grateful for what I have, for being sober, and for cravings not being a horrible as they used to be.

Anna-I seem to go in circles as to what I want to accomplish. I seem to have too many goals and struggle with where I want to focus my efforts, so my efforts go everywhere, but not any where. I don't think I know what I want. Some of it is there is a lot of regret and disappointment that I have to face if I want to move some goals forward. Dealing with that is going to be there until I am back to doing what I was doing.

Weasel-thank you so much for your insight on there being cycles to life that are harder than others to get through. Your insight makes me feel that I can get through this! Thank you!!

Soberleigh-your words on appreciating sobriety really spoke to me. I really need to work on that. Thank you!!