Notices

Suicide Due to Synthetic Pot

Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suicide Due to Synthetic Pot

I ran across this article and wanted to share with the group. This is a sad story about a 14-year old that shot himself after trying synthetic pot. It is scary to think about this, because I would have probably wanted to try synthetic pot when I was 14 if it had been around. I am not really up on the synthetic pot scene, but it looks like some folks really don't react well to it. The incident happened in March 2012 so this may have already been shared a long time ago. If it is a repeat then I apologize.

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Synthetic pot is the latest drug being marketed to teens over the Internet. It's a chemical brew that is legal, but can be fatal.

"My son was the light my life," said Deanna Dyer, mother of Dakota Dyer.

According to Deanna, Dakota was full of life and promise -- but, Deanna and her husband Lance had their lives shattered when they came home to find their youngest child and only son had shot himself on March 10, 2012.

"What did I miss? What red flag did I not see as a father?" Lance Dyer wondered.

"Never saw signs, never saw symptoms, never saw anything," Deanna said.

A review of the 14-year-old's Facebook posts and text messages show Dakota was planning to try synthetic marijuana just days before he died.

"When you can have a normal, happy, popular, love life child die, and within hours can just change his whole perception of the world?" Deanna said.

The Dyers are just one of dozens of parents whose children have died or were seriously harmed after using some form of synthetic drug.

"The drug can act differently with different people. One person can take it and they are OK. Another person can take the exact same drug and they have a psychotic episode and can't deal with reality," Deanna said.

This so-called fake pot is created with various chemical compounds and is designed to mimic the effects of marijuana. Officials say it is commonly marketed under names like "K2″ or "Bob's Bud." The drugs -- marketed over the internet and social media -- come in colorful packaging adorned with cartoons and sometimes labeled as incense. Many parents have no idea what their kids are buying.

"After the loss of my son, I would definitely, definitely, even though I didn't have a reason to, I would monitor. Monitor cell phone activity, monitor social media," Deanna said.

"It's not to invade your child privacy, it's protecting your child," Lance said.

U.S. Postal Inspectors say they're seeing more of these cases as children purchase the drugs over the Internet and receive them in mail.

"Don't assume that is not a dangerous substance. In the end, it is likely to be chemicals imported from China to people who have no idea what the substances are and you have no idea what these chemicals will be when they are ingested into your body," U.S. Postal Inspector John Bailey said.

Manufacturers are constantly coming up with new chemical formulas to get around federal and state laws. The Dyer family is pushing for a nationwide law that would ban all forms of synthetic pot and prosecute those who make it. While some are being made in some cities and states, including in Wisconsin, the Dyer's say strong federal laws is needed to help law enforcement stay ahead of chemists trying to dodge the law.

Here is the link to the article, which also has a video.

'What did I miss?' Parents warn of deadly high following son's death - AOL.com
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

that stuff is such bad news. Poor kid.

D
Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is a legal high in the UK & the shops that sell it dont care about selling it to schoolkids theyve been filmed numerous times not asking for ID

Dont know what the world is coming to

Really sad story
Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For the benefit of people reading this, and in the interests of harm minimization, I can say from personal experience that all of these 'research chemicals' are bad, bad news. Regarding the synthetic pot, a few years ago I acquired a significant amount of the pure chemical that is added to plant material that makes up these 'legal highs' sold commercially. The dose for the pure powder is literally a pinhead in size, which makes accurate measurement impossible.

Unlike marijuana, where if you use too much you just get a lot more high, and only occasionally go overboard, overdoing the synthetic THC is very dangerous. Several times I was in a state of absolute horror, laying on the floor unable to move, struggling to breathe. I had extreme vertigo once after a session on tequila, and this was immeasurably worse.

Other research chemicals are also very dangerous, and can cause vascular constriction if taking too much. I have overdosed on synthetic hallucinogens also, and it was so frightening, and nothing at all like LSD once you take it too far, or mis-measure a dose. Add to that the risk of mis-identification from the questionable overseas laboratories they come from, and you can be in some serious trouble if you thought you were taking a chemical with a 100mg dose, but in fact you were given a drug that has a 100mcg dose. It's easy for mistakes to happen when some of the chemical names are very similar (ie 2cB, 2Ci & 25iNbome are all different, but readers can see how similar the names are. Imagine trusting a non-English speaking dodgy lab assistant for quality control).

It gets worse. Hospitals don't know how to treat these chemical overdoses, and most healthcare professionals are not educated in such matters, referring to all research chemicals as 'bath salts'. This term effectively means nothing, and there's not a one-size-fits-all treatment. In fact I don't know if there is any treatment.

ALL of the news articles we read these days about someone dying from pills they have taken are not the 'classic' drugs that the media might suggest. They are synthetic research chemicals.

There's a YouTube documentary about a harm reduction group going to music festivals offering to test people's drugs, and these days about 8 out of every 10 substances is not what the people thought they were buying. LSD, Ecstasy and Mescaline are in most cases synthetic research chemicals.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE anyone reading this who is still taking substances, take heed. I speak from several first hand experiences with synthetic THC and hallucinogens, and second hand from people I have helped in synthetic amphetamine psychosis (APVP etc). These drugs are BAD NEWS and very dangerous. I come from a position where I am not particularly 'anti-drugs' either, but that isn't the appropriate discussion on this forum. I mention it only to put it in context that I am not some huge anti-drug campaigner.

And don't be fooled by the age-old belief that a bit of weed is harmless. When applying the theory to synthetic THC, it's a whole unrelated substance.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, thank God I never tried the stuff. I have had bad enough experience with regular pot where I went into a panic and started hearing things. That or else I would get so spaced out that I would be lucky to remember my way home or my name or other important things that you aren't supposed to forget. Hallucinogens and me never mixed well. No check that - there are not any drugs that mixed well with me. I always ended up on the losing end of the stick.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DAB

I smoked synthetic pot for over a year. It altered my brain in a way that allowed me to give up cigarettes. After synthetic pot was banned in my state, I gave it up. Three months after that I gave up drinking. It altered my brain in a way that I no longer craved regular pot. Without weed or synthetic weed, I no longer felt the need to drink.
Don't get me wrong, I don't only credit the synthetic weed for this, I credit sober recovery, and AA and eventually my higher power. I wonder if I am the only person that has had this positive effect from synthetic pot?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no doubt you believe it, but sorry - I can't bring myself to believe that hypothesis DAB

D
Old 02-19-2015, 10:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Psychoactives and faith have been used hand in hand for centuries by amazonian shamans and mexican mesqueleros. If you believed that it would positivly assist you and your desire to stop, then bravo. However Im going to suggest that you have no clinical trials to support the chemicals' use in recovery. Why am I so sure of this? Well, if you were buying the stuff retail, then you won't have any idea which of the 10 or more synthetic cannabinoids you were ingesting.

Im going to reiterate for anyone new to this thread. Synthetic research chemicals are BAD NEWS
Old 02-20-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sorry, wrong thread.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DAB

It wasn't my intention to quit anything when I used synthetic pot. My only intention was to get high. Everything else that I described earlier were unintentional results.
I was not prescribing synthetic pot as a way to quit. I was only interested if anyone else had a similar experience.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

S'cool DAB I know you were just relating your experience.
I think shamal makes a good point tho - none of us know what was in the stuff you smoked....& to me at least that's pretty scary.

Glad you quit that, along with everything else

D
Old 02-22-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ex gf of mine sells those legal high drugs to the head shops in bulk "poke" etc **** you up as bad as any street drug made in China etc by God knows who - some street dealers have even started cutting their coke heavily with legal high coke - ridiculous. Not for me.