Notices

I did it cold turkey. On day 5, it's possible!

Old 02-16-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Julie

I did it cold turkey. On day 5, it's possible!

I've been fighting Complex Regional Pain Syndrome since Feb. 2011 after a flat foot reconstruction surgery on my right foot. Over the years it has spread throughout all my limbs, back, and shoulders. I've been dealing with pain from Fibromyalgia on top of that. I had been on Oxycodone around the clock for two years and then six months ago it changed to Dilaudid around the clock. All my prescriptions were from the same pain management doctor and I never took more than I was allowed, I even ended up having extras every month. Well out of no where I developed severe Pancreatitis in November 2014 and was very sick and ended up having to go to an extensive rehab facility in the hospital for a month as it exacerbated my CRPS because bed rest and being off the maintenance medications made my body to crazy. I discharged on December 19, 2014 and actually returned to normal life and work for three days, still taking the Dilaudid multiple times a day except while at work. Then the unthinkable happened on January 19,2015 (yes just one month from when I was recently discharged)... Life threatening pancreatitis out of no where. It turns out I have permanent damage to my pancreas due to long term narcotic use. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks recovering and then have been in a skilled rehab facility due to another exacerbation of my CRPS since February 9th, 2015. I ended up being told I had to stop the Dilaudid cold turkey, it was too risky to stay on and taper given the condition of my pancreas. My last dose of Dilaudid was at 10 pm on Wednesday, February 11th.

I hardly have any mind cravings. Yes, my body craves something anything to take the pain away. Due to this I feel that my body was more dependent than me being addicted to it. However, I'm not taking any chances. I'm going to be trying very hard to be on the same side and treat it as an addiction.

I hope to gather some great support and suggestions, The good Lord knows that I need all the help I can get.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck. I they help you with other ways to do with the pain that doesn't endanger your pancreas.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have damage to your pancreas due to narcotic use? That is a scary thought. I hadn't ever heard of narcotics causing damage to the pancreas. Did the doctors say anything about other conditions that may have contributed to the damage? I would have expected my pancreas to have withered and died by now if narcotics were causing it damage.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your clean time!! I do hope they find something else to help relieve the pain.

I do know that opiates can cause pancreatitis, but like everything else - some people are more susceptible. I'm glad you aren't taking a chance, and that you've joined us here!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-17-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent work. Imma firm believer in ct as well.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree that ct is the way to go. However, some clonidine can't hurt if used to get over that hump the first few days. Personally, i went ct after 4yrs of heavy opiate abuse and it was a good reminder to myself that I never ever wanted to feel that way again. Every time I think about using and I feel that little jolt of pleasure - I remember how horrible it was to wd and how terrible I felt all those times I couldnt pick up and had to go a day or two without. I am now 51 days clean and feeling a ton better. Not 100% out of the woods, but I am getting there. Itcan be done!
Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marcher

Congratulations, CRPS Warrior!
I too went ct after 8 years on prescribed opiates and benzos.
It was crazy painful, physically and mentally. That was almost 2 years ago, and I will never forget it.

Stay close to support. It's a process of ups and downs, in my experience.
But so very worth it! You can do it!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum CRPS Warrior!!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, CRPS Warrier, to SR.