Notices

Went to 2nd AA meeting!! Woo hoo

Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to 2nd AA meeting!! Woo hoo

I went to second meeting, same town, different location. Here is my synopsis.......It was open meeting and saw some of same people from yesterday. But they weren't invasive at all. It was an "anniversary" meeting. So celebrated 3 members sobriety, they spoke and then had another speaker. A new woman came up to me. I was surprised because she was way across the room of about 100 people. I must have had the "deer caught in the headlights" look lol! I was able to ask a few questions. They were: how do I get a sponsor, a home group meeting etc..all the things speakers had mentioned. She gave me very sound advice.....go to a number of meeting and she who/what you connect with..I called it the AA tour. Then where you connect the most is when you want to get a sponsor and group. In the meantime she gave me her cell in addition to the ones I got yesterday, so 4 ladies total and I could call them anytime for anything...she said one of us could wind up being my sponsor or not. But they are in my corner and available if I need them...so that how it's been working here in NY for me. Good to know not alone in this journey. Hope this info helps anyone who may be questioning what the heck happens at an AA meeting😉
Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're finding the support you need to stay sober.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The fellowship of AA is great, and it's the reason I keep going back.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks for the update Onmyway. You may not have looked so much like a deer in the headlights as a friend she had not met yet.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds you are doing well. I'm glad you had a good experience last night. Those phone numbers are great. I never realized how valuable they were when I first started out. Please use them! Before you need them! Just a quick call to check in and say hi is all it takes but build that army! You will click with some women more than others. Some fall away. But some are gems.

Keep going!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Please, as stated above use those numbers daily if only to say “hello I’m doing………..”
Believe me, when you call you’re helping the other person as well as yourself. Try to be honest with what’s going on as a simple response often removes the concern about a situation, “like it’s not worth drinking over.”
People we are able to contact are so valuable for our sobriety, it takes practice.

BE WELL
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Onmyway
Old 02-10-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is great news! I went to AA last year then relapsed and never returned, but I'm two days sober and went to a meeting yesterday and today and it's been really good.

I had it in my head that when I went to a meeting, I would absolutely have to talk. I'd have to share or put my hand up if it was a big group and I was new. But it was totally untrue! I like that I can share as much or as little as I want. That's why I went back after attending last year.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!