Notices

when is early in recovery ehen should we be through it?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when is early in recovery ehen should we be through it?

Is 2 months 14 days still early in recovery?

Panic attacks stopped about 5 weeks ago, stress is less than a 3rd what it was..im up and out of the bedroom more and sleeping well (when I discipline myself with dleep and rise times).
groggy feeling is only everynow and then now, last few days have been quite goo.

I dont feel quite there yet though. Im hoping I will still see improvements....
Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My own personal thought is that anything under a year is considered early recovery. For some people, it might be 18 months or two years. It just depends on the person and how long they drank alcoholically.

But most certainly 2 months and 14 days is early recovery.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The longer I stay sober, the more my ideas on what 'early recovery' is lengthens

I felt a lot better physically and emotionally after 3 months or so tho
'
D
Old 02-07-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've read several places that once someone reaches 90 days of sobriety that the chance of relapse drops quite a bit. I also read that around 90 to 100 days that the brain has done a lot of rewiring and that the rational and analytic part of the brain starts functioning and replacing the addictive part of the brain. I've noticed a lot of difference between 60 and 90 days. Things keep levelling out and settling in, and I've no doubt there's more good things on the way. From the literature I've found it also looks like up to at least 6 months is considered early recovery with common references up to a year being early recovery. I'm having to learn to be patient because recovery is a journey with some references to changes continuing up to 10 years after becoming sober. It would be interesting to hear from others with actual experience with long-term sobriety.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would think so. But congrats on 2 months!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I believe at 2 months 14 days Im still healing. I feel better after hearing from you all that have been through this as it does feel quite scary and alone sometimes. Theres just so little information and advice from med profession beyond the first acute recovery phase.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I've read several places that once someone reaches 90 days of sobriety that the chance of relapse drops quite a bit. I also read that around 90 to 100 days that the brain has done a lot of rewiring and that the rational and analytic part of the brain starts functioning and replacing the addictive part of the brain. I've noticed a lot of difference between 60 and 90 days. Things keep levelling out and settling in, and I've no doubt there's more good things on the way. From the literature I've found it also looks like up to at least 6 months is considered early recovery with common references up to a year being early recovery. I'm having to learn to be patient because recovery is a journey with some references to changes continuing up to 10 years after becoming sober. It would be interesting to hear from others with actual experience with long-term sobriety.

Lance I totally agree with you re hearing others experience, perhaps you could start a post about that?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am seven months and I still feel very early in my recovery. I believe I am still experiencing PAWS.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oops. Forgot to add: I feel a bazillion times better than when I was drinking. Paws or not!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great thread! As someone who is two weeks sober, it is a reminder that this is a very long process.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

at six months I was bongos at times,

Now just over 13 months, I'm still in early recovery myself. I am a much different person today, but I still have a ways to go.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm coming up on 10 years. I still consider myself early in recovery.
I drank for about 23 years, so if/when I hit 23 years I might consider myself longer on.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I have good days and bad days still after a year of sobriety. But, as I look back I am alot stronger dealing with stress and controling my thoughts. My mind has become sharper. Once I gained my contol back I knew I was going to get my life together. Like they say...day by day.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a friend with 27 yrs. who calls himself a newcomer cuz he drank for 30. More of an exercise in humility but very appropriate.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

For myself, "early in recovery" was more about what I was doing to stay sober than the time I had behind me. Once I started really working the steps and applying then to my life, I felt much less like a n00b...

My sponsor gave me a helpful hint on this topic as well... "If you're wanting to stay sober for 20, 30, 40+ years, then you're gonna be in the 'early stages' of YOUR recovery for quite some time."
Old 02-08-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

I have a little more than a year & I think I'm out of very early recovery and I'm a lot stronger, but I sure don't feel like I'm out of the woods.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am just past 90 days and seeing huge improvements, but definitely feel that I am still in early recovery.
Went into this with some physical ailments, which are clearing up nicely, and some days feel average, just fine, but some days I just wake up feeling GREAT!!
NEVER, never woke up feeling GREAT when drinking.....

SO if this is 90 days, I wonder how fantastic one year, two years and down the road will feel????
Old 02-08-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Until I had went through a year of "occasions", birthdays, Xmas, New Years, weddings, over here St Patrick's day, completely Sober I didn't have the confidence that I could do it!!

That was a breakthrough for me when I realised I could do it!!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

So true. The holidays and even summertime commericials all seem to advertise that a 'good time' isn't a good time without booze. Everone just seems 'happier' with a drink in their had and plenty of alcohol to go around. I had to get it through my head that this is not the truth. It was hard at first to be in social situations where everyone was partying and seeming really happy. I felt left out.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just hit 90 dAys and think I am in early recovery. My fear of relapse is much less than it was even a month ago, but there is still so much rewiring in my head and learning to moderate emotions. Simple things still get me a little worked up, but I am so much better then I had been during the first 2 months.
It still shocks men how long this stuff stays in your system and how it affects you