Notices

Presence

Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Presence

A Zen master and his student are walking through a forest together. The student turns to his teacher and asks "Master, how do I find Zen"? The older man stops and becomes very quiet. "Do you hear that trickling stream in the distance"? The student listens intently for several moments then says "Yes master, I do hear it". "Enter Zen from there". Perplexed by this teaching, the student probes further. "Master, what would you have said if I could not hear the stream"? To which his teacher says "Enter Zen from there".

I've always loved this story because, like the student, it took me a while to unravel it's meaning. Though when I did, I found it a great sign post pointing towards the truth. Forcing the student into presence. Focusing his attention on the here and now. Which is the only place I will find true peace and serenity. As it is the only point in "time" that is real.

When I was out there playing in the streets, "now" was never a place I spent any significant time. I was always regretting the past (depression). Or anticipating the future (anxiety). Very rarely was I living in the here and now unless highly intoxicated. Quite frankly, I just didn't know how to be here now. This story, this teaching, among others, painted the way for me to follow. Even though I'm not of the tradition it comes from. In that sense, it also brought some tolerance and acceptance to my life.

One day at a time. One hour at a time. One present moment at a time.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yes, today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
today.jpg (86.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Yes, today!
Have you read "The Tao of Pooh"? Great book.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
Have you read "The Tao of Pooh"? Great book.

I have not, but will check it out.
Thanks!