Notices

Super Bowl

Old 02-02-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Super Bowl

Yesterday marked an anniversary for me. The Super Bowl of 2011 was the first time I attended an event, after getting sober, where alcohol was being consumed. I was a mere month into the program and while not too concerned I would take a drink, I was petrified I would be playing the part of the grumpy abstainer. A childhood friend and long time drinking companion was going to be there and I worried watching him imbibe would stir the intense self pity which riddled and ruined my futile attempts to sober up without our program.

When I arrived at the party, there were plenty of people drinking. But it was really just this one person, a guy whom I had always looked up to, which I worried would trigger the "dry despair". As I sat down next to him on the couch, I noticed he had a soda. I asked "you're not drinking?" "No" he said, "I'm sick". A minor detail which would never have held me back. But, thankfully, he had a little more sense than myself. And I was able to enjoy the rest of the party without all my worries coming to fruition.

While this first outing into the unsheltered world was a bit uncomfortable, because I figured everyone noticed the long time drunk was holding only a soda, not once did I think of taking a alcoholic drink myself. Nor did I wallow around in self pity over the Sprite I held in my hand. I don't know who won or even what teams played. But I will never forget leaving sober and without the obsession of mind. Of having the feeling that maybe, just maybe, there could be a life without alcohol.

It was the beginning of God doing for me, what I could not do for myself.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic share!!

Always good to remember that events don't need alcohol!!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Michael, That was the thing that was so hard for me to comprehend - that could be life without alcohol. I was completely dependent on it when I finally quit. I remember thinking nothing would ever be fun again. Yet I was in misery - it already was poison, and didn't enhance anything. Thanks for sharing a great memory.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Packers 35-21 over Steelers......Game was played in Dallas.

Thanks for sharing, yes King Alcohol is now defeated daily by the one true King!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I am a trucker,and today I delivered a load of energy drinks to a Beer distribution center.
I got my papers and walked inside to check in and the place was full of pallets of beer,stacked on top of each other and all different kinds of beer.
I didn`t want a drink......in fact,all those millions of cans and bottles of beer just wasn`t enough.

God is doing for me what I can`t do for myself,every day
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first event sober was New Years Eve. I was 2.5 months sober and I worried about that darned night all of December. I talked my poor parents into having a party so if have a safe place to be as they're not drinkers. They liked the idea but really went to a lot of expense and planning to do it.

This year I was at a beautiful AA 11th step meditation meeting in an old barn.
The candles were lit and there were only 7 of us. It was wonderful
There's a lady around here whose recovery I admire and I got to talk to re after the meeting. God spoke trough her to me about 2 things and we exchanged numbers and will do more meditation together
This lady has been through a lot even after years of recovery and has come out of it with kindness and openness. I love people like that
That was my 2015 Super Bowl Sunday
Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good post Michael. It reminds me of the BB page 100-101
Assuming we are spiritually fit, we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do. People have said we must not go where liquor is served; we must not have it in our homes; we must shun friends who drink; we must avoid moving pictures which show drinking scenes; we must not go into bars; our friends must hide their bottles if we go to their houses; we mustn't think or be reminded about alcohol at all. Our experience shows that this is not necessarily so. We meet these conditions every day. An alcoholic who cannot meet them still has an alcoholic mind; there is something the matter with his spiritual status. His only chance for sobriety would be some place like the Greenland icecap, and even there an Eskimo might turn up with a bottle of Scotch and ruin everything!
The emphasis though is on spiritually fit and sometimes it is best to recognize that we are not up 100% and it is better to pass on a social event.
Yesterday, I worked overnight and was tired and in physical pain from a bad knee. I also go angry earlier on (4th step material, not the end of the world). Anyway, I was supposed to go to friends to watch the game (I chose to live TV free).
I have no problem being around drinkers (as long as they are not stupidly drunk) and no obsession to drink yet I elected to stay home and watch the game online.
Even if the stream Flynbuy had posted did not work, I was not going anywhere and that was my home team playing!
I put my sobriety first.
Back on track today, prayed and meditated, went to a meeting and rested.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pretty cool man. Keep it up.