Love IS NOT Enough

Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love IS NOT Enough

Took me a while to get this.....Happily single for close to 3 yrs now.

It’s possible to fall in love with somebody who doesn’t treat us well, who makes us feel worse about ourselves, who doesn’t hold the same respect for us as we do for them, or who has such a dysfunctional life themselves that they threaten to bring us down with them.

It’s possible to fall in love with somebody who has different ambitions or life goals that are contradictory to our own, who holds different philosophical beliefs or worldviews that clash with our own sense of reality.

It’s possible to fall in love with somebody who sucks for us and our happiness.

That may sound paradoxical, but it’s true.

Remember this: The only way you can fully enjoy the love in your life is to choose to make something else more important in your life than love.

You can fall in love with a wide variety of people throughout the course of your life. You can fall in love with people who are good for you and people who are bad for you. You can fall in love in healthy ways and unhealthy ways. You can fall in love when you’re young and when you’re old. Love is not unique. Love is not special. Love is not scarce.

But your self-respect is. So is your dignity. So is your ability to trust. There can potentially be many loves throughout your life, but once you lose your self-respect, your dignity or your ability to trust, they are very hard to get back.

Love is a wonderful experience. It’s one of the greatest experiences life has to offer. And it is something everyone should aspire to feel and enjoy.

But like any other experience, it can be healthy or unhealthy. Like any other experience, it cannot be allowed to define us, our identities or our life purpose. We cannot let it consume us. We cannot sacrifice our identities and self-worth to it. Because the moment we do that, we lose love and we lose ourselves.

Because you need more in life than love. Love is great. Love is necessary. Love is beautiful. But love is not enough.

When I think of all of the disastrous relationships I’ve seen or people have emailed me about, many (or most) of them were entered into on the basis of emotion — they felt that “spark” and so they just dove in head first. Forget that he was a born-again Christian alcoholic and she was an acid-dropping bisexual necrophiliac. It just felt right.

And then six months later, when she’s throwing his **** out onto the lawn and he’s praying to Jesus twelve times a day for her salvation, they look around and wonder, “Gee, where did it go wrong?”

The truth is, it went wrong before it even began.

Love is Not Enough
Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I was going to share that same article, as I'd posted it once before. But I see you already did. It's definitely a powerful reminder that love is just a little bit of a much bigger picture. I read that piece semi-regularly as a reminder to keep my head on straight.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This writer has some great stuff

If anyone wants to read his other work

Best Articles - Mark Manson
Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Oooh thanks, Summerpeach!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In Alanon I learned the problem was me: my self-esteem was so low I gravitated to screwed up people because I didn't think I was worth anything better. By doing the Steps and therapy I changed, which was reflected in choosing much healthier people. Today I run very quickly if I even suspect someone is addicted to something.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love love love this article. Have shared it on my fb previously. My only wish is that I had seen it say 10 years ago.