Notices

failed

Old 01-21-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

failed

day one did'nt work, as soon as the 4 o'clock hour hit it was like a switch went off in my brain, get your 12 pack. and i was even on the meds my addiction couselor prescribed me to stop the cravings. all they did was made me feel like **** all day. i may be better off trying cold turkey, at least i'll be able to function at work
Old 01-21-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEEDCHANGE38 View Post

i may be better off trying cold turkey, at least i'll be able to function at work
It has worked for many
I have done that a few times
good luck
MM
Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe next time you get the urge, posting in here could help?

Please see your prescribing counselor before you go off the meds, ok? Very few meds work right away, anyway.

If you know 4 o clock is a problem time for you, why not make a plan before hand - change your routine, get support, read around in threads like this:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

you will feel cravings again - but they needn't end in the same old way.

If you want change, fight them NEEDCHANGE

D
Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's gonna be hard. Gotta be able to resist the cravings a little. Can't just fold like that. Only gets harder after a few days actually
Old 01-21-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it's absolutly insane, fine all day at work till it's time to leave. zero cravings all day at work then WHAM !!!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

it's absolutly insane, fine all day at work till it's time to leave. zero cravings all day at work then WHAM !!!
For a while I was very frustrated because I knew I needed to stop drinking but I continued to have the urge to drink. I thought I was losing my mind. Turns out, I wasn't - but I was addicted. That's what addiction does, it creates a strong sense of urgency to pick up, even though we know we should quit.

What will you do when it happens again today?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is common for many. I too can go all day busy at work and not thinking of booze. Then work ends and all I want is a drink. The key is redirection in early sobriety.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Acceptance that you have a problem, the decision to quit, and meds from your doc are just pieces of the sobriety puzzle. Recovery requires all the pieces.

What are you willing to add to your "plan" to see this decision to quit through?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I done cold turkey but i dont advise it much safer with a Dr help or a detox at hospital

I also completly agree with D
Old 01-21-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well i can't afford any time away from work that is for sure. i'm willing to add whatever pieces that are needed.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

has anyone on here had any experience with naltrxone ?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havnt but ive heard of it

its to be used with counselling sessioins its not a wonder pill that keeps ppl sober i was thought it may help and to be honest im not sure but you can always speak with your Dr
Old 01-21-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I walked in the door after work was my big craving period also...I found having a nice cold NA drink, club soda with something over ice in a real glass and a snack REALLY helped take the edge off. A handful of peanuts or whatever.....(Go figure, I was really hungry and thirsty!)

Every day you retrain yourself on the NEW habit is a day further into the quit.....and the cravings lessen.....and the AV inside you will wither and become ineffective.....won't go away, but he will be laughable!

Good luck, you can do it!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i don't even make it to my door. soon as i leave work straight to the beer store
Old 01-21-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

when I was in rehab I said I would try it. First they gave me some pills to see how my body reacted before they ordered the shots. Within two hours of taking it they had to give me something else to get through it. It was a very uncomfortable experience to say the least.
That is my only experience. I didn't really get to 'try' it.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
when I was in rehab I said I would try it. First they gave me some pills to see how my body reacted before they ordered the shots. Within two hours of taking it they had to give me something else to get through it. It was a very uncomfortable experience to say the least.
That is my only experience. I didn't really get to 'try' it.
yes, i took my first dose yesterday, and it was a very uncomfortable experience for me also.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

now my doc called and told me my blood test results came back said my levels for my liver were elevated. she said it would repair itself if i quit drinking
Old 01-21-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My hour has always been 6PM , it's been a tough few months...Some nights, I replace beer with Coffee , some nights I replace it with Monster Zero carb , some nights , I just plain go to bed instead of struggling with it , which is what I did last night....

Gotta do whatch'ya gotta do to stay off the beer...That's the main thing here...

Mebbe in your case , instead of swinging by Quicktrip , Racetrak , etc and dropping $10 on a 12-pack , swing by a book store and drop that same $10 on a good book...It'll last longer and provide some food for thought...
Old 01-21-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

now my doc called and told me my blood test results came back said my levels for my liver were elevated. she said it would repair itself if i quit drinking
she's right

so now what are you going to do? accept the fact that you can never drink again and never change your mind.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

sounds like that's my only choice