Notices

Need encouragement & motivation!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need encouragement & motivation!

I would love to hear from people who have been sober for at least a month, or who have been in the past. What positive changes did you notice? I know life is not perfect. I understand that me searching for instant gratification is immature, but I would love a motivational boost. I know many of the benefits of sobriety, but it would be nice to hear from some of you about benefits you noticed early on in your journeys.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the list is huge of benefits, even in early sobriety.
Immediately my anxiety/depression started lessening. That was huge for me. Within days of stopping I noticed this.
I wasn't waking up after a binge feeling guilty, ashamed, remorseful, disgusted with myself. You can't beat that feeling!
My weekends are now spent doing fun, productive activities that I can REMEMBER.
I'm not missing work or going into work on Monday still hungover/drunk from my weekend.
I LOOKED healthier within days. My skin and hair started resembling what a healthy humans should and not the walking deads.

et al.
too much. I could go on forever.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been in recovery for many years and everything is better in my life.

Early on, my relationships with my husband and children were what I worked on the most. But, you need to be patient because it will take longer than a month for many changes to occur.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I've been in recovery for many years and everything is better in my life.

Early on, my relationships with my husband and children were what I worked on the most. But, you need to be patient because it will take longer than a month for many changes to occur.
Thanks Anna! I don't expect tons of change in the first month. I was just looking for motivation to keep pressing forward. I have been lucky enough not to have too much damage happen in my life due to alcohol, so I really don't want that to be an excuse that hinders me going forward with abstinence. Knowing that the other side is better is encouraging! Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
the list is huge of benefits, even in early sobriety.
Immediately my anxiety/depression started lessening. That was huge for me. Within days of stopping I noticed this.
I wasn't waking up after a binge feeling guilty, ashamed, remorseful, disgusted with myself. You can't beat that feeling!
My weekends are now spent doing fun, productive activities that I can REMEMBER.
I'm not missing work or going into work on Monday still hungover/drunk from my weekend.
I LOOKED healthier within days. My skin and hair started resembling what a healthy humans should and not the walking deads.

et al.
too much. I could go on forever.
Jupiters, those are all really great benefits! I too struggle with anxiety and depression. When I go a few days without drinking it seems to ease up. I can only imagine how much better it will get if I keep pressing on and not giving in to temptation. Thank you for sharing! Very encouraging.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This thread last night gave me encouragement!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...errerid=157592
Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I am free.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
I am free.
Wow... those 3 words say it all! That is why I made the decision to pursue sobriety in the first place. How easy it is for my warped mind to forget this. Thank you Creekryder. I am happy that you have discovered freedom from the chain of alcohol!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. Christopher Robin to Pooh”
Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I rediscovered a me I'd forgotten - I really like that person, and the life I've built sober.

It may be a little hard to see very far ahead at a month,. but keep the faith Jazzy - you'll get there

D
Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I rediscovered a me I'd forgotten - I really like that person, and the life I've built sober.

It may be a little hard to see very far ahead at a month,. but keep the faith Jazzy - you'll get there

D
Bingo.

Keep your head up Jazzy!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're doing fab babe keep it up (hugs) xx
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mornings get fun again! You'll enjoy getting out of bed and thinking positively about all the nice things you can do during the day ahead.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Simple things - hangover free mornings, more productivity at work, enjoying my mornings, brushing my teeth at night rather than passing out, better grooming, lost a few pounds, felt better about myself.

My mind became less anxious and stressed over all, life became a whole lot simpler not trying to control alcohol, not fighting it, but simply being a non drinker!!

Sobriety keeps on giving!!