Notices

Lucky Day #13

Old 01-16-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lucky Day #13

Hello all, this is my first post on SR. I have for the last few week and a few years ago cruised the posts in here to help in my battles with addiction. I figured this time around I would start utilizing the forum to share my story. Today I am on lucky day #13 being sober.

I won't bore you with my whole life story, but will summarize my history as an alcoholic.

Teens: I was introduced to alcohol at the age of 13. The first time I drank it gave me a feeling of confidence that I never seemed to have. I was instantly hooked, but didn't become an alcoholic. I was just the typical teen who would drink on the weekend, but definitely had a problem as I would binge, and drink to get drunk.

Age 18 to Mid twenties: This is where it really started. I moved to Whistler out of high school, and lived with my Uncle and three of his alcoholic friends. Not a good atmosphere for a potential alcoholic. There was booze around every day and night. I wouldn't drink during the day, but as soon as five o clock rolled around the party got started. There were typically no nights off for a period of a year. This set the tone for a habit/dependency to drink every night, even after I moved away as a result of meeting a girl (to whom I am married to now and have two wonderful children).

Age 26: This is when my Dad passed away and my drinking turned for the worse. I still held my job and was a functioning alcoholic, but I would typically drink and pass out everynight for the next two or so years. It really upset my wife and made her anxious to say the least.

Year 2009: I felt my health was suffering coupled with wanting to have kids, I went cold turkey sober for I think it was 181 days. Then a career milestone hit and the excitement got the better of me and drinking started again. It was different this time; it wouldn't be every night like before, sometimes I would go weeks or a month without it, but it seemed like when I drank that I was trying to make up for lost time.

I maintained this until about a half year ago. I decided to take six weeks of parental leave for a second child, the day I was leaving work our bank account got just about drained from fraud; we got the money back but the stress got the better of me. For most of this six week period I was drinking mickeys of vodka almost every night without anyone noticing. Back to work I went as nothing happened. It's been on and off since then, but it has created so much anxiety and grief inside of me.

Anyways, that's my short version of a long story. I am happy to finally join this forum and look forward to receiving some help. I am on day 13 and this time I am looking for sobriety to stick. Happy new year to all!!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi gonzo and good job on 13 days! Every day sober is a lucky day
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to posting side of SR, gonzo; nice to meet you.

Happy New Year to you, too.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 13! -

You have done it before 181 days! - just look back at that time and feel proud and keep going!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

hi Gonzo, good to meet you

Well done on 13 days my friend.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Gonzo
Old 01-16-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for sharing a little of your story Gonzo.
You'll find a ton of support here

congrats on 13 days - and welcome

D
Old 01-16-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on 13 days!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gonzo!!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gonzo! We weren't bored with your story.

Wonderful job on reaching Day 13 - we know how hard it is, but you're doing it. Things will get easier.