Notices

Just joined

Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Just joined

I am brand new and have never done this before (chat, post, reply etc) so I may make some mistakes. Be gentle with me. I am here because I am trying to undo the damage caused by an alcoholic grandfather (killed himself by drinking wood alcohol), an alcoholic father (attempted suicide 3 x to my knowledge) and by a drug-addicted husband from whom I have separated. I am a 48 year old teacher and don't seem to fit into "society" anywhere. Do any of you suffer from feeling isolated & alone, or is that a stupid question?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Welcome Mercury!

All I can say is for you to go to Family and Friends of Alcoholics (where you can learn about Al Anon) and to the Nar Anon forums!

You'll find lots of great ppl there who can help you out!

There will be ppl coming along any time who can help you more than me. I just wanted to say "welcome".
Old 08-09-2004, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Mercury,
Welcome to Sober Recovery. Not a stupid question at all. Many people who have loved ones who are addicts or alcoholics feel isolated and alone. Please join us on the Family and Friends board and the Naranon board. There are a lot of people there who understand where you've been and what you're going through.
Glad you found us,
Gabe
Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((mercury)))))-

Welcome glad you made it here.. It is very common for people involved with alcoholics and addicts to feel isolated. There are alanon and naranon meeting just for us and they really do help. We have lots of good reading hereget comfy and start reading and posting..... take care.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Mercury:

You're not alone anymore. Although I am a drunk who felt unique in my aloneness & isolation as well, I can surely relate to you opening post. Thank God I eventually found my way into A.A. where I was able to find others who only thought they were unique as well. The above suggestions from MootPoint and Gabe about Nar-Anon & Family and Friends of Alcoholics sound right on target. Hoping you enjoy this virtual Online experience and have it transfer into your face to face life real soon.

No stupid questions here, although a few of the answers I've seen to serious questions sometimes make my head spin. LOL

((((((((Mercury))))))) Glad you found SR
Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service,
Three Legs
Old 08-09-2004, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mercury
welcome...
I am so happy you found us...
Old 08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((((((MERCURY)))))))))))

Hi I am glad you are here! I have only been posting for a few days. This is the place to talk about things. I myself is an addict and aloholic and have a mother as an addict and an alcoholic father and the list goes on as you climb my family tree. I am so glad that you did not follow in your familys footsteps unlike me. I am greatful that I have found recovery at such a young age but yet it still wasn't soon enough to fix what I had messed up. Good luck to you!!

Lots Of Love
Jess
Old 08-09-2004, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Mercury and welcome!
I hope you'll scroll around here, post, get comfortable here. You'll find many people in your shoes who understand and will offer support. We're glad your here!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Welcome, Mercury!! There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers. And, yes, I think most of feel isolated and alone at some time or other. I know I do. But coming to this site and going to my face to face meetings really help relieve that feeling.

Bless your heart! Sounds like you have had a rough time of it. Take the advice of others and check our the Friends and Family boards as well as Al-anon and Nar-anon. There are good people all over this place. Also, feel free to post here anytime you like.

Hang in there. You are not alone.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Mercury)))

Welcome to Sobery Recovery!!!

Talia
Old 08-09-2004, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peace2u

Hi Mercury,

Welcome to SR. So glad you found us.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mercury
Welcome to SR.
There is alot of support here so stick around and get to know us!
Sherry
Old 08-09-2004, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome to SR... and you are not alone. I am sure that if you stick around... you will find another person with a story just like yours. I know I did... and I was relieved to know someone understood what I felt... and didn't feel.
Glad you found us and glad you are here.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Just Joined

Many thanks to everyone who welcomed me, I feel less alone now, my only regret that I didn't find this site years ago. It was my online search for face to face meetings in my area (there are none) that led me here, that must mean something! I will take your advice for forums that are appropriate for me, thanks again
Mercury
Old 08-12-2004, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome to SR ! Glad your here !
Old 08-12-2004, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mercury...

Hi good to see you...

here is a website with meetings in your area...

http://aameetingslondonontario.homestead.com/main.html

Looking forward to you being around here,,,,
Old 08-12-2004, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mercury Posted -
Many thanks to everyone who welcomed me, I feel less alone now, my only regret that I didn't find this site years ago. It was my online search for face to face meetings in my area (there are none) that led me here, that must mean something! I will take your advice for forums that are appropriate for me, thanks again
Mercury
Hmmmm.... :veryhappy It sure does sound like it must mean something. Quite possibly a good time to start one then! Seen it happen, and even participated myself.

(((((((Mercury)))))))))
Three Legs
Old 08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

Red face Just joined

Hey Kelkel: thanks for the url but I was looking for meetings for Naranon or alanon as I have spent my life living with addicts, co-dependent meetings would be up my alley. I will keep looking...
Merc