Notices

Alcohol was not the problem....

Old 01-11-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Alcohol was not the problem....

It was the solution.

Somewhere around 5-6 months I reached an epiphany after hearing these simple words in group from an dear lady friend. The words hit me like a ton of bricks..... That's it!

I viewed alcohol as the underlying root of many problems in my life. But truly came to realize it was not. It was indeed the solution (I thought) to life's issues.

Today I recognize I must find others solutions to my issues.
If one understand this early on, I think the road to sobriety might be a little less bumpy, perhaps
Old 01-11-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Agreed. For me, alcoholism was the symptom. I had a lot of work to do on myself to deal with the underlying problems.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

I concur my freind. THat's why, for me, surrender meant freedom. When I finally admitted that I had been defeated in seeking solutions through substance abuse, only then could I look at my true problems, and proper solutions.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Indeed Flynbuy - It was our best thinking that got us here. I keep hearing in AA meetings that what we all have is a "Thinking Problem". Am looking forwward to the days when I can count on my brain as being my friend again ! :-) MJM
Old 01-11-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Top post Fly!!

For me the toolbox I had to deal with life only consisted of a bottle of whisky every night for 5yrs, I had nothing else, and that was the challenge in getting Sober, how do I deal with life without my trustworthy whisky?!!

It can be done though, with some time and effort, we can fill our toolbox with other things!!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Totally agree!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post - sobriety is a state of mind.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Agreed nice thread Fly
Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Nicely put Flynbuy
Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Yes I agree. For many years alcohol successfully removed my emotional problems by numbing them out. That is a solution, of sorts.

Too many side effects though to be sustainable in the long term.

Great insight, Fly, thank you !
Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah a dysfunctional solution that creates so many problems down the road.

In my case, I think the root of it is my general obsessiveness. I can be in awe with anything I like, including entirely abstract, immaterial concepts and ideas. Also, I tend to have a very intense focus on whatever intrigues me at a time, which can be very beneficial in some situations (eg. work) but can also lead to problems. I am certain enough that the obsessive tendency is something biologically "coded" in me, so it's pretty hard to shred. At the same time, I tend to want to escape from things that don't provide a certain level of excitement and fascination. For me a good solution is to develop healthy interests that I can dive into, enough of these in my life so that they won't leave room for destructive obsessions. I think I understood these things about myself a long time ago, actually long before drinking had become a problem. For me, understanding alone never helped because no matter how well I know something, the irrational impulses and motives will still be there and can take over any amount of knowledge.

I think I'll always like intensity in my areas of interest -- the challenge is not to let this turn into unhealthy excess. That, and healthy coping strategies with stress and uncertainty.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Yup.
Two of my favorite lines
What do you get when a horse thief sobers up?

A sober horse thief.

The same man will drink again.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your post, haennie, reminded me of something I read a long time ago about artistic people having higher addiction tendencies because of a stronger need for thrills and stimulation most other people don't have. Without enough stimulation, the person gets depressed, as being stimulated is a necessary part of feeling "normal" for someone with that temperament. Life can be really boring if we don't purposefully seek out ways to make it entertaining, and that boredom can really trigger some people.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redladyslipper View Post
Your post, haennie, reminded me of something I read a long time ago about artistic people having higher addiction tendencies because of a stronger need for thrills and stimulation most other people don't have. Without enough stimulation, the person gets depressed, as being stimulated is a necessary part of feeling "normal" for someone with that temperament. Life can be really boring if we don't purposefully seek out ways to make it entertaining, and that boredom can really trigger some people.

Exactly! Boredom is my trigger! I've been off work for the last month. Too much free time on hands. Day 1 here.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redladyslipper View Post
I totally agree!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Yeah a dysfunctional solution that creates so many problems down the road.

In my case, I think the root of it is my general obsessiveness. I can be in awe with anything I like, including entirely abstract, immaterial concepts and ideas. Also, I tend to have a very intense focus on whatever intrigues me at a time, which can be very beneficial in some situations (eg. work) but can also lead to problems. I am certain enough that the obsessive tendency is something biologically "coded" in me, so it's pretty hard to shred. At the same time, I tend to want to escape from things that don't provide a certain level of excitement and fascination. For me a good solution is to develop healthy interests that I can dive into, enough of these in my life so that they won't leave room for destructive obsessions. I think I understood these things about myself a long time ago, actually long before drinking had become a problem. For me, understanding alone never helped because no matter how well I know something, the irrational impulses and motives will still be there and can take over any amount of knowledge.

I think I'll always like intensity in my areas of interest -- the challenge is not to let this turn into unhealthy excess. That, and healthy coping strategies with stress and uncertainty.
Wow that makes so much sense to me. I get completely obsessed over things and always have to have something or someone I'm completely hooked on to the point I can hardly think of anything else. Maybe it's a case of trying to swap to a more healthy addiction (joining the gym soon so maybe...) x
Old 01-11-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Home run description of me. My wife insisted I drink too much. The wole time I knew I just think too much. Drinking numbed the thinking in my case. Admittedly I eventually drank more than anyone should at an acceptable level but it was the perceived cure not the cause. The cause was deeper and way more real than what came to be just a habitual act of nonsense. I'm getting a better sense of reality day by day. I still have the cause imbedded deep inside but the cure is surely not in the bottom of a bottle. I've looked in tons of them they're all duds in my experience.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I completely agree Flynby. Alcohol use was a symptom, and abstaining from alcohol didn't solve my problems at all; instead, it made me aware of them!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Member

You hit the nail on the head. For me, if I had a problem, I would buy enough wine to forget about the problem. In my mind out of sight out of mind.

The problem was the problems went unsolved causing bigger problems, solved by more drinking.