Notices

Tomorrow is day 6

Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is day 6

Day 5 went better than day 4 for sure but I have reached that point where my AV will be so strong. It'll tell me that I've healed from my last binge and that my body can handle a night of drunkeness. It'll tell me that 6 days without a drink earned me a night of hard liquor. How many days can I last before I crumble under the pressure? I love waking up sober but I miss how good feeling drunk feels. I don't miss the hangovers but i feel like life is so weird without drinking. What is wrong with me?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
I miss how good feeling drunk feels. I don't miss the hangovers but i feel like life is so weird without drinking. What is wrong with me?
And therein lies the conundrum. We (alcoholics) want the good but not the bad. But the bad ALWAYS comes with the good, and usually far outweighs it.

It's a good step to recognize your addiction now and come here to deal with it before it's too late. Do you have access to local support or meetings at all? It can be very helpful to be around others with the same goals and issues, especially early on.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You might need something of a plan beyond just willpower. Using the pain of hangovers as motivation doesn't work forever; the AV is cunning and your mind often suffers from "rose colored glasses" syndrome. Ever break up with someone that made you miserable only to miss them, dwelling only on the good times and their good qualities? It is easy to selectively remember things! Eventually you'll forget how bad the bad was yearn for the good.

In my case it took some commitment! AVRT was just what I needed. It taught me how to recognize the 'Addictive Voice' for what it really is. Once I learned that the AV lost most of its power.

Hang in there! You can do it, and SR is a great resource.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Scared well done for day 6

When the AV kicks up crush it with positivity about what sobriety is bringing you

Write down a list of why you shouldnt drink youl find your acceptance there
Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

do I hear seven?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll seven that. Do we have an eight?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

life IS so weird without drinking at first, Scared.
of course it is!
how could it not be?

How many days can I last before I crumble under the pressure?

that will depend to a great degree on what you DO during those days/with that pressure.
what are you doing for support?
for distraction?
for learning new pressure-release techniques?
for learning new living skills?

that kind of stuff.

it's doable, scared1234.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
leb

Hi scared, Sounds like you are doing really well.

I am the same as you. Thinking about the future and "what ifs" Seems to me we have to concentrate less on the future and more on today. I too am afraid that I will impulsively binge drink and be back to square 1.

Maybe we need to tell that voice that is always on about alcohol to "shut up and go away" I have to learn to delay and distract myself. I learned this when I gave up smoking - 6 months ago. (that in itself I consider a miracle!)

If all else fails I sleep. (if I can) You can do it. Stay strong.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's going to get easier, Scared. It takes time but sobriety will start to feel more normal until it is almost second nature. Stick with it; stay focused; you can do this.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can turn Day 6 into Day 7, Day 8 . ., Day 60, Day 600, Scared.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scared I feel the same way! Tomorrow is day 7 and as I was praising myself in my head, I instinctly thought about having a drink to celebrate! Hahaha! I'm not going to but I really wanted to. I miss getting drunk too I'm not gonna lie .... But I mean really what is it going to do for us? Give u a buzz/high for a few hours??? Sometimes I think for us who have been getting drunk forever and using it as a reward and "romanticizing" it, the fun of getting drunk is partially mental-just that we tell ourselves it is so we think it is, even if it's not. I think the whole world has a large obsession with alcohol and that doesn't help either! So anyways, I love that idea someone said about writing down the good things about being sober....I'll get us started!

1. I can feel self-worth
2. My husband will be happier and our relationship will be better
3. I will stop gaining weight (and other vain desires like less wrinkles, acne, etc)
4. Live longer!
5. Sleep better
6. I will be a decent parent in the future
7. No hangovers
8. Not living everyday thinking about when I can have my first drink, but just enjoying life as I'm living it.

Day 7 here we come!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stay strong Scared and leharris. Crush that AV and like SoberWolf said - make a list.
LeHarris, that is a great start - carry on. We are with you.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yay!! Tomorrow is my day 8. I havn't been to a day 8 in years. Good job! ��
Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're doing so great, scared! One thing that I've been trying to do is make an inventory of all the positive things that are happening or can happen if I continue on the path of sobriety. That has been useful to look back on when the AV comes calling. Also, shaking up a bit one's routines can help too when embracing new ways of being.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are you today, Scared?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 6 is fantastic!!

It's going to take time to get comfortable with life without alcohol, because we haven't known anything different, so don't beat yourself up.

For doing something different, new activities, interests in the evenings were key, because not drinking simply created a lot of time alone every evening after work and so I needed to fill my time and almost distract myself until it became more of a normal routine.

Hang in there!!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Scared, I felt weird without drinking for six months. It takes some time to adapt to the new reality.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Let us know how you are, Scared.