Usher at Church

Old 01-04-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Usher at Church

I am dealing with a rather odd phenomenon...
I play the organ at our parish for 9:00 Sunday mass.
The head usher at that mass, although not resembling my mate physically, manages to push every button on me. Whether he is an A at all, I do not know. It doesn't matter.
The guy loves to come to the organ console and attempt to interrupt my playing. Usually he wants to complain about it being too loud, or other issues.

I spoke to the music director AGAIN today about this guy, who was up to his usual tricks this morning.

I believe if I were further along in my program, this guy wouldn't bother me. As it is, having to interact with him at all is like a session with my mate, except my mate is more polite.

I like playing that mass otherwise, and work well with everyone else there. I suppose I could play for a different mass just to get away from this guy.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Earplugs for one or both of you. If he is the only one complaining, then earplugs will protect his sensitive ears. If you put in earplugs then you won't have to listen to his complaining.
I used to do that when my ex would start one of his rants and try to keep me up all night. Of course he caught on and starting flipping on all the lights and yanking off the bedcovers to wake me up instead, but it worked for awhile.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Eauchiche,

Interestingly enough, I may be able to provide some insight here....just from the ushering point of view.

I am an usher at the 10:30 a.m. Sunday mass at our church. As an usher, the organist and organ and choir music are not part of my responsibility. This particular gentlemen, imho, is overstepping the boundaries of his "job".

Two options may be possible. First, if there is a 'head usher', someone who oversees the all of the ushers during the weekend masses, I would speak to that person. If not, then it might be time to contact your parish priest and let him know. Perhaps schedule a brief meeting with the priest and your music director. I can tell you that our music director would not put up with any interference on the part of any usher!

And yes, I do think you have the right to be annoyed
Old 01-04-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess "kick him in the groin" would be frowned upon, given the context?

Sometimes, God puts us back in class, I swear. About a year after I left AXH, I was gifted with the supervisor (at work) from... well, if not from heck, at least he could see it from where he lived, I'm sure. He was like AXH in so many ways. I spent months crying in my car every morning before going in to work, but I had no choice.

I would ask God what he wants this interaction to teach me. Maybe it is choosing to play for another mass (sometimes, fleeing is better than fighting), maybe it's something else.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I guess "kick him in the groin" would be frowned upon, given the context?
See, then one of the other ushers would have to call an ambulance, and there would be a big scene, and if it was during the procession you might get "the look" from the priest
Old 01-04-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone. Very funny about the groin kick. I had visions of strangling him with a rosary!!!
As far as asking if this is a learning moment, I am right there with you. Yes, it absolutely IS. I also am fully aware that the feelings I have are MY problem. I don't know why this individual raises feelings about my partner I thought I was over, but that is the way it is.

I told the music director what you said, Seren, about job descriptions. I mentioned that as long as this guy stays on his side of the street, there shouldn't be any problem. Of course, we don't have any control ultimately over what this guy does.

The Music Director promised me he would speak to this guy after vacation. I am taking the rest of the month off, because I am moving up the road a few miles.

Thanks to all you guys, as always!

Last edited by Eauchiche; 01-04-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I think he may be "hot" for you . . . .
Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I think he may be "hot" for you . . . .
LOL. I think it's true what they say about musicians getting all kinds of action. Pretty sure Hammer's onto something here.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hammer! You've just given me the push I need to take that life vow of celibacy!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seems like I remember some joke about "chased him around the church and caught him by the organ . . . . "

Sounds like serious matters.

Organ Jokes
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually Hammer, now you've inspired me to switch to Judaism. OY VEY OY VEY!!!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Wow, between the groin kicks and the rosary strangulation moves I am soooo going to start getting up earlier for the 9:00 mass at your church, Eauchiche. All Star Wrestling and the Holy Eucharist.

Frankly, speaking for myself and my massive family, we wouldn't care so much if you played loud as long as you played fast. In and out in under 45 minutes. That's what we were always looking for. Speedy Fingers Eauchiche would be a big hit with the kids in the pews (and a few adults as well). I think the priest would be pleasantly surprised at the bump in attendance and the weekly collection if you could offer both wrestling and sacraments in under an hour.

Then that usher dude would be relegated to ushering at the 12:00 mass. Or worse, the children's mass on Saturday night. Let's see him try and tell THEM to sing quieter!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwtgaQZYDI
Old 01-04-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, Karma, I've never seen us get out of there in under an hour. The Music Director is a big believer in singing EVERY verse of all the hymns.
People do bolt for the door during the closing hymn, which thoroughly tweaks my former Episcopalian sensibilities. Over at the jolly old C of E, they used to call us Fire Worshipers, because everyone stayed on their knees until the altar candles were extinguished.

In regards to the liturgical "sports" we all mentioned, I have always been counseled by my mentors when I was coming up, that the Organ can motivate people to do some very strange things in church, if one is not judicious in tempi and registration. I have to always avoid getting too persuasive when playing the Recessional for a wedding, for instance, or the honeymoon could start in the narthex.

Since Hammer sort of took this thread in a more mundane direction, I wonder if we wouldn't all find HIS church more diverting than mine?