Notices

Step one

Old 12-27-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step one

Step one is just a conclusion in your own mind. Step one encompasses 43 pages, and can not be told in 12 words.

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanagable.

Why are we powerless over alcohol?
Why had our lives become unmanagable?
Why cant I drink like I used to, and why cant I stop now that I want to.

The simple fact of the matter is that we have a 2 fold disease aka DIS-EASE. We have an obsession of the mind when we are sober, and we have an allergy of the body that keeps us drunk. We obsess over booze, we tell lies to ourselves that it will be different this time, we can have fun this time, nothing bad will happen this time. We might even say that we have been sober for a long time, maybe I dont have a problem. Lie. We come up with any number of excuses why we should drink, that we deserve a drink. Maybe instead of rum change it to vodka, or beer, or wine, or or or or. The mind gets us drunk, and our bodies keep us there. We can deal with the mind. We can phone our sponsor, we can phone our AA friends, we can go to an AA meeting, we can pray and meditate, we can help others, we can do service work. The quickest way to get out of self and self pity is to help others.

When we give into the lie, we drink. We never drink on the truth, always drink on the lie. Once we take the first gulp of booze, our bodies act different then normal folks. The cravings start and the get stronger and stronger with each drink we take. This explains to me why when I could barely walk, I could barely talk, puking, I didnt need anymore booze, but I surely took it.
My body is different then normal folks. I am allergic to alcohol, just like normal folk are allergic to strawberries. Instead of breaking out in a rash for normal folks, I break out in handcuffs, or spots like Miami, San Diego, Toronto, Vancouver, I have blackouts, I crash cars, I say stupid things to loved ones and work mates.

Normal folk will have a drink or 2, feel dizzy and stop. Alcoholics just keep drinking, the dizzy feeling is just a clue to funnel more booze down your throat.

The purpose of the Big Book is to obtain a Higher Power that will help you. Its a spiritual program, so its a HP of your own understanding. You get that HP by working all 12 steps in order. Step 2 is just a willingness to believe, thats all thats necessary to begin. Step 3 is a decision to go on with the rest of the steps, step 3 prayer, turn your thoughts and your actions over to a HP.

We work these steps quickly, in order to feel better. The steps changes our thinking.

See booze is but a byproduct, alcohol has nothing to do with our problem.

Our problem centers in the mind.

Its our thinking that is messed up, and it needs to change, or else we die.

We live life on a spiritual basis or alcoholic death. Very simple to understand.