Notices

Thankful for holiday sobriety

Old 12-26-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thankful for holiday sobriety

I've been enjoying reading the posts about SR folks who are having a sober holidays, so I thought I'd post a few thoughts about mine.

On Christmas Eve we were walking home from Midnight Mass, and I mentioned how something felt so different about Christmas this year. We talked about it for a bit but couldn't quite figure it out. As we got close to home it hit me. I wasn't dealing with a hangover, drunk or planning to walk in the door and pour a drink.

Christmas Day I made a Thai meal for some guests, and for me the ritual around the time to make a Thai meal means starting cooking early in the afternoon while hitting the vodka, being drunk when the guests arrive and then us working our way through a bottle or so of wine per person as I'd sneak into the kitchen for vodka shots during the meal. I did it all sober this time, and it was pretty awesome. I saved quite a bit of money by not buying any alcohol and made no explanations or apologies for not having it. The guests brought one bottle of wine that the other three shared over the course of the evening, and I actually felt proud of myself that I was happy to sit there with my glass of water.

Tonight we went to a diner and the waiter was chatty and volunteered that he had too much to drink on Christmas Day and how it was hard being at work and that every step he took reminded him of the alcohol. It was another grateful reminder. When we left he asked if we were popping across the street for a drink, and it felt really nice to say we were headed home to curl up on the couch and watch an X-Men movie.

I've spent a lot of time over the holidays reading on SR, and I'm really grateful for everyone here. It sure helps me stay on track.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Lance - glad you had a good Xmas

D
Old 12-26-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I agree. This year I had a sober Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and they were all really good. I was afraid I wouldn't have fun, but I had a really nice time and some serious laughs. We were kind of missing out on the real fun all those years, right?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to hear this!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Glad you had a good time, Lance.

So happy for you, my friend
Old 12-27-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's great that you were able to enjoy the holiday sober. I too have enjoyed the holidays being sober. It's so nice to wake up feeling good and being able to enjoy really delicious meals. And being able to connect with people without the false feeling that the booze always seemed to give.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post, Lance. Great to hear how well you are doing and feeling.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a great post Lance! And what a great way to wrap up 2014...... Now on to the fresh new year.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Lance