AH in Detox

Old 12-16-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH in Detox

Wisconsin's thread just prompted me to give an update. I didn't want to, because, honestly, I'm taking this one day at a time. No fireworks, no calls to the media. It is what it is. So I didn't want to call attention to it.

I'm not going into details, but let it suffice to say that I had nothing to do with it. He ran into someone he had met at an AA meeting a few months ago (the meetings were short-lived and he always went drunk) at a convenience store. He knocked on the guy's car window and said, "I'm still drinking" and the AA guy said, "No sh*t. Tell me when you're ready."

So AH went back to his car, waited 5 minutes, and then went back to his friend's car. The guy rolled down his window, and AH said, "I'm ready." The friend brought him back to the house to pack a bag. He's gone for a few days. We'll see what the Great Insurance Dictators say next. We'll see what AH says next, all in good time. I have no expectations. No hopes. No beliefs. It's all in God's hands. Truly.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think you are right, SoloMio. It is what he will make out of it...or not.

dandylion
Old 12-16-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update. I will say a prayer for you both.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keeping you all in thoughts and prayers....
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Solo---
I know you don't want to get excited, or whatever, and I get that! I do!! But, just want to say, give your self the permission to breathe, sigh, and enjoy the peace for now.

BTW.... I love the story. It made me smile. <3
Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, one day at a time is a good mantra, and the fact that he was ready is a good thing. Prayers for both of you. (((hugs)))
Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((((HUGS))))) You seem to have a great outlook on all of this, detached but loving with no expectations... just a lot of "wait & see".... sounds like YOUR recovery is going well!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
Wisconsin's thread just prompted me to give an update. I didn't want to, because, honestly, I'm taking this one day at a time. No fireworks, no calls to the media. It is what it is. So I didn't want to call attention to it.

I'm not going into details, but let it suffice to say that I had nothing to do with it. He ran into someone he had met at an AA meeting a few months ago (the meetings were short-lived and he always went drunk) at a convenience store. He knocked on the guy's car window and said, "I'm still drinking" and the AA guy said, "No sh*t. Tell me when you're ready."

So AH went back to his car, waited 5 minutes, and then went back to his friend's car. The guy rolled down his window, and AH said, "I'm ready." The friend brought him back to the house to pack a bag. He's gone for a few days. We'll see what the Great Insurance Dictators say next. We'll see what AH says next, all in good time. I have no expectations. No hopes. No beliefs. It's all in God's hands. Truly.
Good for you for staying out of his recovery efforts.

With that said, since he is detoxing the week before christmas, will he be in rehab over christmas and new years? If not and he is at home, do you have a game plan for yourself and your kids (if they visit again)? I remember your thread about alcohol costs over thanksgiving and I am thinking this might be a good time to re-imagine holiday drinking at your house. Not that everyone needs to or should change, but the timing on this seems parallel to your other concerns.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
Good for you for staying out of his recovery efforts.

With that said, since he is detoxing the week before christmas, will he be in rehab over christmas and new years? If not and he is at home, do you have a game plan for yourself and your kids (if they visit again)? I remember your thread about alcohol costs over thanksgiving and I am thinking this might be a good time to re-imagine holiday drinking at your house. Not that everyone needs to or should change, but the timing on this seems parallel to your other concerns.
I know! Timing is questionable. We were scheduled to go up to see our kids in VT. I'm frankly hoping that The Powers-That-Be at the insurance company approve a 28 day stay, because then he's locked in through the holidays.

Again.. one day at a time.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Prayers to you!
XXX
Old 12-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And the moral of the story is, none of us can make that decision for our partners - if they're ready, they're ready and can ask for help from the appropriate people, without our help. Fingers crossed for you that this is The Time :-)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That's actually semi-promising. Not so much that he's in detox, but that he got there by way of someone carrying the message from AA. I know some people with some pretty long-term sobriety whose stories go along those lines.

Fingers crossed, and try not to worry. Things have a way of working out the way they should.