Notices

For the newbies - things will get better!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For the newbies - things will get better!

This is for all you newbies out there who are having a hard time. I drank for 20+ years and got into a lot of trouble as a result. My health was awful, my finances were in ruins, I was constantly anxious, and I felt absolutely terrible about myself.

The first little bit was hard. I felt tense, still had stomach issues, insomnia, and triggers were everywhere. I felt like I'd never be able to have fun or relax without drinking. Around 2 months in, I was still suffering from extreme fatigue and wondering when the hell all this was going to end.

At 3+ months, I'm feeling like a new person. I don't need naps during the day anymore, and I finally have enough energy to start exercising. I've lost around 10 lbs. and my swollen face and beer gut have disappeared. I no longer have digestion issues, and I'm actually getting my calories from food rather than restricting my food intake just to have the alcohol hit me harder.

I'm volunteering, going out with people to socialize, and working on starting a business. I no longer have to worry about whether alcohol will be available at an event, how much I should drink before I get there, and making sure that I have alcohol at home so I can drink more when I get back. I'm no longer consumed and controlled by this thing.

People in my life who were frustrated and angry with me are now reaching out to help me in any way they can. This is the best thing though...I got an email from my sister yesterday. She told me that she's really proud of me and that I'm an inspiration to the whole family. That's the kind of feeling that alcohol will never be able to give you.

Yes, it's going to be hard and sometimes painful...but it'll be worth it. People on this board are great and they will support you. Stick with it for a while and I promise that things will change. You don't need to suffer anymore.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I Agree Avice, things do get better, with patience and time
Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me at least three months before I started feeling truly better, but now after five years I only wish I'd quit sooner.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done! Great advice. I really think it is the three month mark where things really start to happen.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for sharing, Avice.
I really needed to hear that today.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post! I really needed to hear this. 30 days of sobriety for me today! However, I am wanting to feel better. I come home from work feeling so tense and not wanting to be around my family. I do know that after a few minutes, that feeling goes away. I was just so used to numbing out when I get home. I just want don't want to be so tense! Breathe~Patience~
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad things are improving for you, Avice. Your post is beautiful and inspirational.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A great post, and a generous one. Like some other people on this thread, I need to hear this - again and again! I'm meeting friends tonight, but I'm not gonna drink. I'm putting that out there now. One day at a time. Congratulations to you for an inspiring achievement!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Loved this! Thank you
Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Avice
Old 12-16-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes I concur stuff gets better.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Avice for lighting the way !!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Avice. I'm still in that roller coaster time with good days then anxious / low energy days.