Notices

Still holdin' on...

Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still holdin' on...

:redfinger
Good morning all - things are ok - Went to a party last night, abundance of drinking materials but I didn't indulge. I do have to say that I felt a little out of place though. Didn't seem like I fit in all that well anymore. I left early. Is it strange to feel like I've lost my best friend. (the booze). Cause I do. Like I'm not normal anymore. That's all. Have a great one guys,
Kelly
Old 08-05-2004, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peace2u

Hi Kmarie,
I guess it would feel a little abnormal to be the only one not imbibing...but, hey, you're also the only one without a hangover and feeling quite normal after all. So give yourself a pat on the back for keeping your wits about you. I'd say you cleared another hurdle in the chase for sobriety. :35: Have a great day!

Old 08-05-2004, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by kmarie
:redfinger
Good morning all - things are ok - Went to a party last night, abundance of drinking materials but I didn't indulge. I do have to say that I felt a little out of place though. Didn't seem like I fit in all that well anymore. I left early. Is it strange to feel like I've lost my best friend. (the booze). Cause I do. Like I'm not normal anymore. That's all. Have a great one guys,
Kelly
How true.
I still grieve for my poisons sometimes.
And I remember the emptiness I felt in the first few weeks of sobriety. It made me mad, confused and above all, sad. I really felt like I had lost a friend.
Can I share a letter I wrote with you?
It was one of my last assignments when I was in rehab this past January.
It really helped me, and still does, to write down how I feel about things.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...02&postcount=1
Old 08-05-2004, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((((((KMarie )))))))))
You sure fit in well here and you have a plethora of new friends to replace John Barleycorn!

Kiss Heart of Spirit and thanks for sharing.
In Love & Service,
Three Legs
:tri
Old 08-05-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

You hang in there, you'll eventually be able to adapt to those situations, and find great amusement in watching everyone become toast, while you wake up without that hangover!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peace2u

Dan, I enjoyed that butt-kicking letter you wrote. It's all there...just like you said...romance in a bottle...trying to mend the broken pieces of life by drowning in alcohol....thinking we can simmer our feelings instead of learning techniques for dealing with them....looking for instant gratitude
Thank you for sharing it, Dan.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Good for you, Kelly. I am just now beginning to be able to enjoy myself at drinking parties. I hate to say it, but I really enjoy watching ppl get drunk.... now that's not very spiritual but its true Although I much prefer non-drinking events.

Dan....... thankyou for that kickbutt letter!
Old 08-05-2004, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow Dan - That letter was amazing - I especially loved the the P.S part. Very powerful. And it's also exactly how I feel.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=kmarie Is it strange to feel like I've lost my best friend. (the booze). Cause I do. Like I'm not normal anymore.[/QUOTE]

Your very normal sounding to me Kelly. That is out reaction. Because it is very much like Dans letter Describes. If I am not feeling stong (with my recovery program) I do still feel sad when I look at a bottle. But as time goes on, I find that feeling starting to be lifted.