Notices

Hi,everyone

Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,everyone

Well..Here goes! I came off a binge when I woke up yesterday like I've never had in all my years drinking. Horrible shakes,sweating, body hurt all over,ect. I know that I can no longer continue this way! I just got out off a 10+year toxic/co dependent relationship mid Nov and have been drinking heavily to numb whatever loss I think I feel. I can no longer do this. The closest AA meeting to my home is in a BAR!?!? It's not that I would have the urge to drink there,but my ex frequents this bar so NOPE! I'm also not sure how I feel about the religion side of AA. I do have a copy of their book, so I guess I'll start there and hang around here for support.. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, DontRemember, to SR. This is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement and it's 24/7/365.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can always go to an AA meeting which is NOT close to home!

Any lengths...
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Glad you found your way here and decided to stop the madness.
Lots of support.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 12-11-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, there is always inspiration here at SR and there is always someone around.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site! Hang out and read some threads. You're not alone.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us and really glad you've decided to stop drinking.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Don'tRemember

SR helped me turn my life around, I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I had stopped with my recreational pill taking(tabs/xanex) and smoking pot 110+ days ago,lost count. I just stopped..No problems..No want, at all. This is different for me.. I plan on doing an honest taper with beer. last night I had four and felt ok when I woke up. Went to the gym,started dinner(slow cooker), showered and went to the store. All was well,until the checkout. Hot,sweat running down my neck,horrendous anxiety! I still have xanex (somewhere),but refuse to go back there ever again! Got home and have been nursing a beer for over two hours now. Can't wait to never have this over my head any more! Thanks again for the support!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A.A. scared me too, especially all the talk of God. Some people believe in God such as the Christian God and if that works for them, that's fantastic. I do not believe in the Christian God per say, but I have learned to stop dwelling on the issue so much. Someone once told me that I should take what I need from A.A. and leave the rest - I think that was pretty good advice. I like to focus more on the "higher power" aspect and use the group and positive energy coming from people who have overcome the grip that alcohol had over them as my "higher power". I know that I could not stop on my own, believe me, I tried! So, if the groups and friends I've made through A.A. keep me from taking a drink, that is really all I need to focus on. I hope this helps a little.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're going to like it here DontRemember. The people here got me back on my feet and helped me stay there. We're never alone as long as we have each other - people who really understand.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Congrats on recognizing the problem, and making the decision to quit drinking! I am not religious by any means, and I made the decision to go to AA meetings! It is so worth it, and I hope you give it a chance. You don't have to be religious, you only have to have the desire not to drink alcohol. The people there are welcoming, and they genuinely care.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

Congrats on recognizing the problem, and making the decision to quit drinking! I am not religious by any means, and I made the decision to go to AA meetings! It is so worth it, and I hope you give it a chance. You don't have to be religious, you only have to have the desire not to drink alcohol. The people there are welcoming, and they genuinely care.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lots of different approaches to getting clean (several links on this site). The work is up to you. It's a struggle at first but gets easier as you go. Actually living life is all worth it.
Sounds like you are up to the challenge.

Good luck
Old 12-12-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'll probably check out an AA meeting,thats not at a bar,next week. whats it going to hurt,right? Woke up today after only a couple hours sleep,due to sweats and dreams of my ex. I wasnt really sad,or anything,which is different. I think i'm at the point of almost thankful she ended it when she did. Otherwise I'd be walking the same deadly path, in an unhappy relationship. Odd feeling and it could be just the roller coaster effect. Not sure. Only time,with a clear head will tell me. No work today,So I'll be reading some threads and taking it easy. Have a good one, everyone!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan, DontRemember. I don't use AA but it is my understanding that the higher power is the one of your choosing.