Notices

I was gonna drink my anxiety away tonight

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was gonna drink my anxiety away tonight

Hey everyone. I posted yesterday afternoon after waking up with crippling anxiety from a binge. I am about to finish day 2 of soberness and the anxiety crept up a bit a half hour ago. I came on here instead of drinking and read responses to that post. I have no gotten over that urge to drink for the night. Thank you everyone I had the urge to drink, came here instead, and won Day 2 complete...Oh god..day 3 is going to be something isn't it. But I won't worry about tonight right?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go on all fronts - Day 2 as well as posting. That's how you do this thing. All you need to concern yourself with is tonight. Tomorrow will be here soon enough & you rinse & repeat. These beginning days are simply about surviving each day sober.

We're here for you.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

In my case trying to drink anxiety away completely backfired! The only way I could make it go away was to STOP drinking.

Do yourself a favor Scared and put the plug in the jug for good!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's right you made it tonight! And you can do it again tomorrow! U must accept drinking is not going to take away your anxiety its only going to compound it and magnify it! Keep up the good work keep posting.... spit it all our. You know I'm rooting 4 u .
Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's right you made it tonight! And you can do it again tomorrow! U must accept drinking is not going to take away your anxiety its only going to compound it and magnify it! Keep up the good work keep posting.... spit it all our. You know I'm rooting 4 u .
Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ditto what Hope said. My anxiety has almost completely gone away since quitting. It is the hardest In the beginning but way to go tonight! You didn't drink. Drinking will only make it worse and postpone the inevitable even more anxiety from withdrawal.

Eat something sweet. I eat ice cream. Deep rhythmic breaths. If it continues, see your doctor and tell your doctor what is going on. Way to post here! Don't worry about tomorrow. Plan for tomorrow. You don't know what tomorrow will hold but the fear of what may happen may be far worse than what actually happens and cause anxiety to go up.

Well done. Keep posting. And sweet dreams.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh geez, the anxiety, it was HORRIBLE for me. I was losing control of my entire brain. But remember, it's just a brain. It is an organ just like anything else. I thought of the anxiety in your brain being like a sore throat. Your brain is an organ.. it has a sore throat right now.. but sore throats heal, and so will your brain.. try to seperate your brain from your soul right now, and remind yourself that it is just an organ that is acting up.. it will return to normalcy, I promise.
3 weeks sober here. I shudder when I think of the anxiety I had on day 2,3..etc. I didn't believe that anything would get better ever. But your brain will stop throbbing with anxiety, I promise..
Old 12-01-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stop stressing and take control of what you can do to deal with this. For example, plan ahead to keep yourself busy and occupied so that you don't have too much time to think on it. Eat a big meal so that you are less likely to get hungry. go for a walk or to the gym to tire yourself out. Go to the movies. Anything to distract yourself and plan it out one day at a time. Don't sit at home stressing and beating yourself up. Before you know it you will have a week under your belt. If you feel like you are going to waver then come on the site and read all the horror stories and feel the pain and suffering.
Good luck!
Old 12-01-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you scared - thats exactly how best to make this place work for you

D
Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's awesome! The first couple days are hell, congrats
Old 12-02-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
In my case trying to drink anxiety away completely backfired! The only way I could make it go away was to STOP drinking.
+1

Drinking may have soothed my anxiety for a few hours, but made more anxiety inevitable for months. It's a vicious cycle from which only sobriety freed me.

Congrats on 2 days.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I, too, had my anxiety all but disappear once I got some time under my belt. It is so nice to be free of that feeling all of the time! Stay strong!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

great stuff, Scared.

Do tonight what you did yesterday and before you know it you'll have day 3 put to bed too

I found those first few days the hardest anxiety wise - people said it to me and I hoped they were right. Now I know they were right - it does get easier.......

..not a stroll in the park yet.........but easier