Notices

Hair loss/growth question...

Old 11-30-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hair loss/growth question...

I was just wondering if anyone (particularly women) noticed a thinning/overall bad hair quality while drinking and has it improved for anyone after you quit? I have noticed a dramatic thinning and overall decrease in my hair quality and it sucks, I was hoping it might improve once I quit.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think some women have had their hair grow back thicker after they quit. There is section on the women's only forum devoted to this issue (losing your beauty to alcohol).
Old 11-30-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

of topic , but I've studied it so I want to thow it out there , your skin will look much better after you quite , theres a whole bunch of biology behind it and its really interesting , I'm not sure about hair , but I'm sure it can't hurt to quit
Old 11-30-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I lost a bunch of hair and since living sober my hair has stopped falling out. Not sure about regrowth but I'm happy the loss stopped.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It could be something else too, have you been to the doctor for blood work?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not sure of your age, but lots of women .I'd 40s and up start to thin, unfortunate part of getting older for some.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I did! About 3 years ago it was coming out so much it was everywhere in the bathroom after showers and combing and drying my hair. I lost so much I didn't think I even had that much on my head. I stopped drinking and started taking lots of vitamins and at around 2.5 months I suddenly noticed how thick and full my hair was.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mine was dry and stopped growing/fell out while I drank. I'm sure I was malnourished. It has improved greatly since I quit.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,..i know it seems silly, but the physical effects of alcohol make me feel more depressed and want to drink more, the thought they may be somewhat reversible gives me hope!!
Old 11-30-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes but there are different underlying causes of hair loss and apparently many are reversible. I did not know until mine came back in all plush that it would for sure happen. I was very relieved when it did!
Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never experienced any such thing.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I lost tons of hair when I was drinking. When I quit a lot less fell out. I think alcohol really disrupts women's hormones. I am telling you though, as soon as I started doing wheatgrass shots every morning, it's crazy. Barely any falls out now and on top of it, my hair has gotten more red than it was before.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My hair used to be thick and wavy when I was a teenager and in my 20s. Over the years, into my 30s and 40s, it got thin and limp. I've noticed a significant improvement since I stopped drinking. It's noticeably thicker and shinier now.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yup. My hair falls out like crazy and usually stays that way for a couple of weeks. Then I'll notice less hair falling out. After almost 6 months my hair looks pretty good.

Certain supplements really help me as well. Biotin being the main one....ask your dr whether including biotin is ok.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joshmailodani View Post
I was just wondering if anyone (particularly women) noticed a thinning/overall bad hair quality while drinking and has it improved for anyone after you quit? I have noticed a dramatic thinning and overall decrease in my hair quality and it sucks, I was hoping it might improve once I quit.
YES!!! To the thinning and unhealthiness of the state of my hair thanks to my drinking, AND to it getting healthy again.

I started seeing my current stylist and colorist before I quit. My hair had been thinning for awhile (I really noticed the non-thickness when I wore a ponytail or put it up in some way) and sometimes my scalp had white, almost dandruff-like stuff that would come off under my nails if I scratched my head. I am 344 days sober and over the months since I quit, both of them have told me what an amazing story my recovered hair is. As one of them put it, "it was like your body was getting rid of all the toxins through your hair and head as much as anything else."

Very grateful that my Leo self has my mane back in good form

Time helps EVERYTHING.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Last time I was too low on my thyroid meds my hair started falling out and I had about six hairs left in my right eyebrow. So attractive...

I believe alcohol has a definite effect on thyroid function. At day 398, my hair is now all sober hair, so to speak, and my hairdresser is amazed at how fast it grows. It has changed texture post-menopause, but that's pretty common.

Bottom line is that I look at least five years younger with tge improvements in my skin color, eyes not swollen, etc.

Totally worth it!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My hair became very dry around 5years ago and had stopped growing.I stopped drinking in May last year and recently it has started to grow normaly,plus is now in much better condition.