Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am very grateful that I found this forum today. I've known since I meet my AH (fiance) that he drank, we've been together for 8 years. I also knew that his drinking has increased over the years. He has been verbally and emotionally abusive for a long time. I moved out for 3 years due to his abuse. I moved back in a year ago. Things were great for about 8 months. We even got engaged and were planning on going to Jamaica in January to get married. I told him 4 weeks ago that I no longer wanted to get married if he wasnt going to do something about his drinking. He decided he wanted to go into treatment. I found what our insurance would accept and 3 weeks ago he went into detox for 4 days then into inpatient for the last 3 weeks. He comes home in 3 days. Im very nervous about it. I dont know how to act, what to say. I went to an Al-Anon meeting 2 weeks ago and plan on going to more. I can tell they will be a big help. AH told me when I went for couples therapy last week that he wanted to do couples therapy when he gets home. Which totally blew me away, he's always though that stuff was total bulls**t. In one hand I'm hopeful, on the other I'm doubtful. I would never tell him that but I feel I have every right to feel this way.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey tcheryl- Welcome!!!

It sounds as if your fiance might be serious with improving both himself, as well as your relationship. That's great, especially if he's the one who suggested it.

There is another part of this site that might also be of some help, which is titled; "Friends and Family of Alcoholics" just so you know.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/

I do wish you and your fiance all the best and I hope things continue to improve for him.

Lusher
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome tcheryl
Old 11-30-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
Sorry for your bumps in your life and would recommend reading and joining Friends and Families also.
I have a liking for attending Al-Anon meetingS also, all help is welcome as far as I’m concerned is great, reading post here will help you be aware what we face.

BE WELL
Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum
Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum tcheryl!!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR tcheryl

D
Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The only thing you can do is to be supportive and to let him work his program. I hope it all works out.