Notices

so im back with my tail between my legs

Old 11-26-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so im back with my tail between my legs

Why can't i just stop drinking. I always feel like this is the last time then boom right back at the bottle an smokes.... why can't i just stop.... last night j drank a half pint then went back for another one but just woke up an see i didn't drank it... thank god... but why many i just stop.... im so angry at myself. ....
Old 11-26-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Toni you can stop you just gotta want it more than the booze

Accept it write down every reason why you shouldnt drink youl soon see your acceptance or choose to deny it

i have every bit of faith in you Toni
Old 11-26-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sorry to read that you continue to struggle with sobriety.

Originally Posted by tonib View Post
Why can't i just stop drinking.
I'd speculate you aren't doing enough recovery work to support your decision to quit drinking.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i know it is hard.
i have just been to the shop and was drooling at all the liquor on show. i very nearly caved in i will have you know. i am off work on the sick because i was taking drink to work with me. then i thought about how much i must have smelled, so i drank all the coffee and got reported. (how the hell i never got reported for smelling of whiskey is beyond me)

i drank to forget my issues. maybe make a list of any issues you are facing and see if you can get some help with them.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

last night j drank a half pint then went back for another one but just woke up an see i didn't drank it...
Do yourself a favor and pour the half pint you did not drink down the drain. Let it be the first half pint you did not drink in your new life. Start today in recovery with a positive action.

I had to change a lot to stay sober and be happy about it. Change was not easy, but the same person will drink again. The only way I could do it was one thought at a time, one action at a time, one day at a time. I've never heard of any shortcuts that last.

And as much as I used to hate hearing it, "Don't give up before the miracle happens."
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I poured it out.. i feel this was my last time in so done with the cycle
Old 11-26-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can do this, but a change to your plan, maybe more support is needed!!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why can't i just stop drinking. I always feel like this is the last time then boom right back at the bottle an smokes.... why can't i just stop.... last night j drank a half pint then went back for another one but just woke up an see i didn't drank it... thank god... but why many i just stop.... im so angry at myself. ....
been there.

for me, it happened when I stopped asking "why" and started acting on sobriety.

AA, SR, changing my perspective, surrendering to the thing.... embracing sobriety as a gift rather than tolerating it as a sentence....

Keep at it.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
learning to live

Welcome back tonib. Sorry to see you are still struggling.

I am glad you poured the rest of the booze out. That's an awesome start!

Make a plan and do WHATEVER it takes to stick to it. Do what you have to to just not drink today, then repeat.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. Change up your whole routine.

You can do this. I have been in your same rut many times before.

You have to make the decision to stop drinking and end this cycle no matter what it takes. You deserve better.

Get some sober time under your belt first, then things will start falling into place and making more sense. Right now, just DONT drink...that is your ONLY rule! Later you can focus on all the good stuff that comes in recovery. Nothing worth having is easy and sobriety is no different. You have to go through to get out. YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know it sucks. I've fell but I got back up. The main thing is dust yourself off and start over. Don't worry about the past or future just for today. That is what is getting me through right now
Old 11-26-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Toni

I agree with others here the why really isn't important...you'll have years to work that out, if you want to, later.

The how is really important. How are you going to stay sober? what's your plan?

D
Old 11-26-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

tonib- I feel for you- been there oh, so many times. Tried to stop since 2010. What made the difference this time? I don't even know if I know. Just keep trying. Change EVERYTHING. Make the decision that you do not drink anymore. And cling to that with every bit of strength you have. It's worth it, I promise. At some point, a version of you shows up that you did not even know was there. Do not give up. No matter what.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sounds like it is time to try a different approach. If you always do, what you always did, you will always get, what you always got.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes...so what efforts or things are you doing to help yourself stop? What plans have you made as to how you will spend your time? What things can you do instead of drinking when the urge comes up to do so?
Old 11-27-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, I use to hate alcohol and once i got addicted to it I hated it even more

Good luck Im only day 3 and its going to be a hard road.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tonib, the good news is you came back here. In early sobriety, as folks here have said, the why is not so important. You will have plenty of time to figure that out. Getting and using the tools to stop is important.

What are your triggers? What made you buy the bottle in the first place? I avoided triggers for the first month. I changed up my routine and did other things. What can you change in your routine to help you? What do you do in your down time-when not working etc...? Plan out your days so you don't have any boredom, what am I going to do now time. Commit to coming here and posting or reading daily.

You need support and you need a plan.