Notices

What a difference a week has made!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

What a difference a week has made!

Hello everyone.

It has been a little over a week since I joined SR to try and help me get my mind in order and send my alcohol problems back into the dark depths from whence they came, and I must say in one week my life feels very different in the best way possible. I have 8 days of sobriety under my belt and I am seeing so many improvements in my life.

First of the all, I have made it through an entire work week without going near alcohol or even craving it. I was in bed before midnight every night without so much as a thought about drinking. And I've been waking up in a much better mood feeling very refreshed and ready to take on whatever the day threw at me without that "I can't wait to just go home and start drinking" feeling.

Second, the number of things that I allow to bother me is steadily dwindling. For years, I have let the littlest things bother the crap out of me. So much so that I have developed a reputation for being a miserable, misanthropic grouch. But, over the course of the week, I've noticed that less and less things bother me. I've even received a few "Wow, you're actually smiling!" comments, and people seem more inclined to engage in conversation with me. Don't get me wrong, many things still get to me, and I have work to do, but I'm learning to catch myself getting unnecessarily frustrated and stopping to reevaluate whether it is really worth it to get my heart rate up over something so stupid.

The third and most significant improvement is that I find myself worrying less about things. For several years I have suffered from these fears of doom about my future (which I believe have been the primary driver of my drinking habit). I am in the process of trying to start a business and I have been afraid of the shattering disappointment of failure as well as the possibility of overwhelming success. Both things scare me equally. And instead of facing those fears proactively I have just returned to the bottle time and time again to wash them away. Well, I can honestly say those fears are fading. I feel a renewed sense of hope and ambition. I may not be thrilled with where I'm at right now, but I have convinced myself that if I just keep grinding and keep busting my butt every day, I will get things rolling. And of course, reminding myself that there are always others out there suffering much worse than I am is humbling and helps keep me focused.

I feel that this all started happening after I logged onto SR for the first time last week and let out what I had been keeping locked up inside of myself for way too long. I have not felt this positive and happy in years and it is truly amazing.

Thank you SR!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Mns1

Congrats on your 8 days thats really awesome keep going friend

And thank you aswell Mns1
Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post gives me hope! Keep up the great work! :-)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is so encouraging to hear mns1. I signed on to SR for the first time yesterday so today is day 2 for me.

I can only hope to be where you are by next week. It makes me hopeful. Keep up the great work. A few members welcomed me with the phrase, we're all in this together and I couldn't agree more!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hey Mhs, well done

Glad you are feeling so positive, so happy for you
Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey mns1- Well done!

It is amazing what a difference things are when we stop. From the way that you've talked about all of the positives, I can see that you have a great attitude toward your goal of sobriety, which is huge. No doubt that you're on your way to a better you!

I wish you the best with your continued progress.

Lusher
Old 11-22-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are doing well, mns.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Well done mns1
I echo your feelings - although it hasn't been all plain sailing for me these last couple of weeks the sense of hope and freedom that comes from simply not drinking is absolutely fantastic - and I'm amazed at the speed with which these feelings have come.
I also attribute it to this forum - support from the old hands and the sense from fellow newbies that I ain't alone in this
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Well done, mns - and lovely post too!
Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post and a wonderful inventory, MNS! I think it is really important when we're early in our sobriety to really take stock of all the blessings that not drinking brings.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you everyone as always for the kind words!

I have achieved some nice stretches of sobriety over the last couple years, but every time I feel like part of me just conceded that I would start drinking again eventually. And I did. But the relapse that I am currently recovering from did not last long. I only let it go on for a week, as opposed to several months, before I decided that it was time to end this once and for all!

And this time feels different. There's a certain resolve that I feel. And to top it off, I have the SR Army by my side to fight this as opposed to trying to take it on alone.

More power to you all!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 8 days! That's great!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 View Post
This is so encouraging to hear mns1. I signed on to SR for the first time yesterday so today is day 2 for me.

I can only hope to be where you are by next week. It makes me hopeful. Keep up the great work. A few members welcomed me with the phrase, we're all in this together and I couldn't agree more!
Glad my progress can be a boost to your own! Keep that hopeful attitude, be strong and when in doubt log onto here. You will find what you need to push onward!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Well done mns1
I echo your feelings - although it hasn't been all plain sailing for me these last couple of weeks the sense of hope and freedom that comes from simply not drinking is absolutely fantastic - and I'm amazed at the speed with which these feelings have come.
I also attribute it to this forum - support from the old hands and the sense from fellow newbies that I ain't alone in this
100% agreed! Joining this forum as worked wonders for me. No one is alone on here.

Keep moving forward Hendrix!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
What a wonderful post and a wonderful inventory, MNS! I think it is really important when we're early in our sobriety to really take stock of all the blessings that not drinking brings.
Absolutely Matilda! I think that's what I have done wrong in the past. When getting sober I would focus on all of the negative things I was trying to avoid rather than all of the positive things that were happening right before my eyes!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Your post gives me hope! Keep up the great work! :-)
So happy I can be a source of hope for you Serenidad. I have seen in your posts that you are struggling. Keep your head up and keep pushing onward. It will be worth it!
Old 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's so awesome! When I was at 8 days I was a wreck so I'm so happy it is going smoothly for you !
Old 11-22-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week - great stuff

D