Notices

Question for the "oldtimers"...

Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question for the "oldtimers"...

Did you have a reward system when you quit drinking..?

I'm reading "I quit. Now what?", and it recommends a reward system. I like the thought of that.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said to someone else today we become used to immediate gratification as alcoholics and addicts....so yeah - in the beginning I had little rewards, something nice to eat or whatever, maybe a CD, but the process pretty quickly became it's own reward, if you know what I mean?

D
Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I do not think it is as conscious as it use to be but I do good things for myself. I wonder though if this is just how normal people live
Old 11-21-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It sounds like a plan, but when I got to the point where I was mentally ready to quit I didn't really need a reward. As time went on, I just enjoyed the relaxing nature of sobriety.

Lots of people use some of the money they save to buy a treat or experience, but at the time I was more focussed on saving.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So do I MIR. And maybe we become normal.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. The book outlines a more rigid system, with a list of rewards after one week, one month and so on... Right now I mostly enjoy the extra money in my pocket and the fact that I can drive anywhere at any time. I've taken myself to the movies, out for coffee or anything else I've felt like doing in the spur of the moment. Sounds like as good a plan as any.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Just be careful and don't reward your sobriety with a drink. Believe me, your addictive voice will try to float that one past you.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha ha... I'll try to avoid that one, Carl.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

I started a thread about my 1st reward.

Deluxe Double Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book & 12 Steps & 12 Traditions Book Cover Medallion Holder Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004682N5W..._7RRBub000PPVF
Old 11-21-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not a long timer but can say that since quitting money is not as tight. Being as such I am able to reward myself with things I do need, but when drinking were not purchased.

For one my clothes are all basically trashed from work. I needed something nice to go to court in so bought it, with out regret of not having the cash to carry on.

The first week I bought nice winter coveralls as my old ones were beyond the last leg of worn, next week bought a couple shirts that are not permanently stained with work grime, next some arbor wear pants as they last forever. This week it will be something else that I do need and have the money for. Being drunk i didn't care how I looked now I find I do. So rewarding myself with things I truly need and like is my reward.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a dream last night. Not a terrible nightmare, like every night these past few years, but a normal dream (well, honestly it was a pretty inappropriate dream about a coworker, but I'll take what I can get ATM ).

I could also face going to the mall to buy some tea and some other stuff I needed - haven't been able to do that for a while (haven't cared either, I can totally relate, barefootjunker).

Rewards in themselves I guess.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't really, but I was careful to praise myself and allow my low self-esteem to slowly grow.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess I quality as an old-timer ;-)

When I got sober I had a list of things I wanted "rewards", so to speak. they were...

I wanted a job
I wanted a place to live
I wanted a car
I wanted a T.V.

I'm not kidding - that is want I wished for out of sobriety, I have 100 times that today.

I'm not sure that is really the rewards system that you were meaning, but yes, in way I did.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I reward myself with nice vacations
Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StellaPolaris View Post
Thank you for your responses. The book outlines a more rigid system, with a list of rewards after one week, one month and so on... Right now I mostly enjoy the extra money in my pocket and the fact that I can drive anywhere at any time. I've taken myself to the movies, out for coffee or anything else I've felt like doing in the spur of the moment. Sounds like as good a plan as any.
Jeeze, It sounds like dating a JAP (jewish american princess) except you actually are saving money and the rewards are far greater.

I don't know what qualifies as an old timer around here. I think if you are feeling good about something you accomplished, reward yourself on a milestone if you want. As long as it's not too extravagant or becomes more than the 'accomplishment' itself. However, over time it will become silly and meaningless. It also depends on the individual. My birthday is just another day of the week to me. To some people it is a day of celebration for all the world. So it really depends on the person. If you want to give your kids money for getting 'A's on their report card, good for you. What does it do to kids who cannot get 'As' no matter how hard they try?
I do understand that for many it is a proud and difficult accomplishment. But getting a reward for small milestones of sobriety is for all the wrong reasons in my opinion. My reward was the knowledge and self-satisfaction that accompanied it. We have become a society of rewards. I'm surprised hallmark hasn't come out with sobriety cards yet. The 30 day, 60 day, 90 day cards ... hmmmmm oh, there are coins or "chips" for that. Ah, but what of the people who aren't in that club. I'll put it on my list, along with "You're Welcome" cards.
As was already stated, sobriety itself is the reward. Try not to over think it.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, LBrain. I love birthdays, Valentine's, Christmas and any other day that calls for celebration (hallmark moments ). Don't really need a card or a chip or anything, but I love having something to look forward to.

Tomorrow I have 2 weeks, and I just bought myself a concert ticket and gave myself a big high five.

...oh, and I never payed my kids for grades.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im not an old timer but i totally agree with what D said
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My only reward was being able to pay bills since the money wasn't going for wine anymore. My dogs' happiness was another reward, since I neglected them when I was drinking. But the best reward is just waking up sober and feeling good.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

congrats on 2 weeks stella, enjoy the concert!
Old 11-21-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

didn't occur to me

i was thrilled and excited at my new adventure. because i really felt it was different this time.
and it has been.
its own reward for sure.
the first few weeks i'd wake up in the morning with a "wow! x days! yippeee!" and that was plenty rewarding. i knew i was doing it.

StellaP, no doubt it's not all roses. so be good to yourself. be nice to yourself. and no reason why not spoil yourself a little.
but somewhere in my understanding of the word/concept of reward is some suggestion that i'm doing something rather distasteful and against my inclination...ach, i talk too much.

yes! enjoy the concert! enjoy the life that sobriety makes possible.