Notices

Still Trying

Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Trying

Hello everyone!
I'm new to this site but I've been reading some posts for a while now. Anyway, I decided to join because I really want some advice on staying sober and because I don't want anyone I know that I have a problem with alcohol. Right now I haven't drank exactly in a month. I've been sober for a month before but I never been able to pass that. I still get some urges to drink but I try to control myself. I know if I drink I'm going to keep hurting myself but the feeling that alcohol gives me, keeps me still wanting to drink. I'll be honest and I think, I will eventually start drinking again and that's where I would like some on advice on. I've been trying hard this past month by distracting myself on dieting and working out but this is my second time trying.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome: stay close to SR. Lots of good info and support here. It has helped me tremendously!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, LLBH!

I had to take that off the table. Living in "someday, maybe" was blocking me from full recovery. It was leaving despair and misery as an option.

It always ends the same way when we pick up that first drink, you know? Maybe not that day, but soon.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what helped me get past the point you are was accepting for myself that I had a problem with alcohol and being willing to allow the help of others.

AA and this forum were the greatest allies for me.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum and welcome to SR LLBH

Well done on reaching a month try these Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information Or Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi LLBH, welcome to SR.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 1 month sober!

I think it's great that you are exercising and eating well. Making lifestyle changes in recovery is really important. There is lots of support here, so I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard the sober train! Next stop life long sobriety and happiness!

Working out and dieting always helped me as you can focus your energies to something positive. I would always slip up after a few months and found the only way to really stop was to get a trainer/coach. It's money well spent as you will have to be accountable to someone - not just yourself. If you belong to a gym they definitely will have one. If you have a sport you love - tennis, running, cycling whatever they too will have coaches available in your area. Its actually pretty affordable - i pay only $100 a month and get weekly workouts that i upload to his account so he can see i am doing them. Good luck and keep at it!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard the sober train! Next stop life long sobriety and happiness!

Working out and dieting always helped me as you can focus your energies to something positive. I would always slip up after a few months and found the only way to really stop was to get a trainer/coach. It's money well spent as you will have to be accountable to someone - not just yourself. If you belong to a gym they definitely will have one. If you have a sport you love - tennis, running, cycling whatever they too will have coaches available in your area. Its actually pretty affordable - i pay only $100 a month and get weekly workouts that i upload to his account so he can see i am doing them. Good luck and keep at it!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

woops sorry double post
Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome to the rest of us, LLBH.

a month is great. you can pass that mark by staying sober today.

and yeah, what finally worked for me is what bimini said: knowing it would never be different if i drank again and accepting that whole-heartedly.

this is doable.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support and yea I do have that thinking that I will quit someday. So far, trying to keep my body healthy seems to motivate me not drink. I actually feel different from staying sober this month. Once again thanks guys and I will keep posting and asking for advice.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard LLBH

D
Old 11-18-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you LLBH. I think it'll really help you to be here with us. I was able to finally get it right after decades of trial & error. The support & encouragement here made all the difference.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think maybe when you reach milestones like a month or two.. immediately set another milestone for the future.. That worked for me once.. I just kept saying "I won't drink until..X.. then I won't drink until...Y.." Worked for two years... until I ran out of excuses..
Old 11-19-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome LLBH

I think pretty much all of us have some failed attempts at stopping behind us. We all eventually came to realise that we couldn't do it alone.

Look around, read, there's lots of good tips on how to stay sober here.

You're in the right place